No announcement yet.

New oven up and running in Missouri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks great! Feels good getting that done, doesn't it! Looks a lot like my completed oven a year ago that I had to rebuild because of exposed firebrick. I know that MO gets some ice and snow...if that's not covered with stucco or a roof over the whole thing, you'll have freeze-thaw damage of that entry arch. Check out my thread for pics.
    George

See my build thread here.

See my build album here.

Comment

If you aren't doing this now, put a bucket or plastic food container over the top of the chimney pipe before you throw the tarp over the oven. The bucket/tub will keep the pipe from cutting into the tarp during wind & rains. Also, a bigger tarp extended out farther from the base or adding a temporary, little water dam around the base would be a good idea. Just put some sand in plastic ziplocks and arrange them around and a half foot or so outside your dome base perimeter to make a fairly effective, simple, and inexpensive dam.

As a bonus, something like a sand/bag dam can easily be moved/replaced as you use the oven--until the roof's in place. Remember, water that accumulates around the base perimeter of the dome can quickly get wicked up into your insulation board and batting (through tiny cracks and crevices that WILL be there long before the final roof is in place). Ounce of prevention...
      Last edited by SableSprings; 10-27-2016, 12:44 PM.
      Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
      Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
      Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
      Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks again to all for the advice......unfortunately I didn't realize until now that the weather (water) would be such an issue. Currently keep the oven tarped (with a bucket on the flue...Thanks!) and bought some of those tube sand bags to place around the base of the oven to help keep water out...seems to work pretty well...but the plan is to have the roof in place by Dec....hopefully?! Thanks again!

Comment

Finally put together the cover for the oven....I think it's done. Wanted something that would keep the oven dry but not hide the oven when it's not in use.....does anybody see any downside to this design? The front is hinged so your able to lift it and support it so it creates a roof area over the front of the oven...just in case there is a little rain while your cooking.

We've used the oven quite a bit but not since the enclosure is completely done. Monday having about 20 people over for pizza...we'll see how things go.

Thanks to all for the many ideas that were incorporated into this.....like the concrete boarder around the oven to run any moisture from the platform away from the oven. Just one of the many helpful suggestions.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X