Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cabinet Doors

Comment

Stone around base of oven. This I would say is the hardest part of the whole thing!

Comment

Stone and cedar. The Cedar paneling was easy

Comment

More cedar

Comment

Couldn't finish the cedar until the counter tops were installed. So counters went in, then finished cedar, then stone finished around the grill.

Comment

Last bit of cedar and stone, final product

Comment

Final steps

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                  Are those standard 2x4s sitting on the ground for your counter, or pressure treated? You don't want to have a problem with rot.
                  The ones on the ground are pressure treated, used a "Ramset" to install. Final product is sealed with a caulk so water will drain away.

Comment

Very nice work! Will your local weather allow much use of it in the winter without any cover?
                    My build thread
                    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Great job Matt! I've wondered about using Redgard for waterproofing a cured oven's stucco base. Seems like it would work OK as a waterproofing layer between two coats of stucco. I never thought about using it on the entire outdoor kitchen under-structure...should work really well. I used it when I rebuilt my shower and it seemed to be highly recommended as well as pretty easy to use...albeit a bit pricey . It will be interesting to watch how it holds up to Illinois winters and summer humidity.

Had you done any curing fires before you sealed up the oven enclosure? If you didn't, remember you'll want to go really long & slow so you don't get any venting cracks in that nice looking stucco/paint finish. As JRPizza wondered, I'm also curious about how much winter use you'll be able to fit in ...or if you are planning to put a permanent cover over the area later.

Thanks for posting the build!
                      Last edited by SableSprings; 11-13-2016, 03:55 PM.
                      Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
                      Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
                      Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
                      Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I am currently doing my curing burns. So far so good. Holding the heat pretty well. If it snows I plan to brush it off. And if I plan to cook it will be a slow growing burn to temperature and then a gradual cool down. I do have 5 layers of the blanket on it. The door traps the heat in really well too. It has only cooled about 10 degrees in about an hour and a half time. It's not 10 or 20 degrees outside, but it is chilly. I may do a cover later. Depends on how the winter goes.

Comment

I must say, since it's cold here it is difficult to cure the oven. When it was warmer, I was able to do 1 burn thinking I would have time to do the rest. Overnight the temp went from 350 to250. This time it went from 400 to 200. We shall see how it goes today. Still fairly cool here.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt756Pilot View Post

The ones on the ground are pressure treated, used a "Ramset" to install. Final product is sealed with a caulk so water will drain away.
                            Glad to hear you used PT. Caulk is not going to do much to keep water out from under your cabinets. It will wick right through the concrete.
                            My build progress
                            My WFO Journal on Facebook
                            My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Working...
                            X