Mannextdoor WFO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mannextdoor WFO

I would say, did you mean "trying", but from my own experience I think you nailed it .
    Matt S, Cambs, UK
    42" Pompeii

Pizza oven pictures - WIP!

Pizza oven costs (so far!)

Comment

Originally posted by mannextdoor View Post
      I have never done any masonry work before.
      Believe me, it doesn't show... you're kidding, right?
      "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Originally posted by aureole View Post
        I would say, did you mean "trying", but from my own experience I think you nailed it .
        Thanks for the point. Sometimes things just seem to work themselves out. I think I will leave it there.

Comment

I removed the forms today. A few hair line cracks. I think it will be OK.

Comment

I need to summit more post on the forum. I will be ready to cut bricks before I am an apprentice. I wouldn't want to cut bricks before I am allowed.

Comment

Did you get a truck in for that concrete? Well done on the finish, it's so smooth!
              Matt S, Cambs, UK
              42" Pompeii

Comment

I did bring in a truck. It took 1.5 yards for the top. More then I wanted to mix by hand. Plus I wanted a color in it. I figure the only way to get a consistent color through out was to have it all blended at once. I wanted the color of Oyster. I was told that it dries and works up a shade lighter then the chart. I ordered the color Orchid, in hopes that it will dry and work up close to Oyster. The photos are a little deceiving. It is not smooth at all. It is very rough. But it is very level. Will do a test grind today. It will get polished up like granite. I have various color gravel and stones and trap rock in the mix. All of these colors will be present after the grind and the color of Oyster will be the base or background color to the exposed polished aggregates.

Comment

Wow, that sounds like it's going to be really nice. Will you do any acid staining on it?

Doing the base and foundation for mine nearly killed me - we had ~3 tonnes of concrete in total, done over 2 weekends. It's really on the limit of what 2 people can do themselves (or is for me). I think someone on the forum poured their hearth slab mixing all the concrete by hand!
                  Matt S, Cambs, UK
                  42" Pompeii

Comment

I have not planned to do any acid staining. Now that I have some grey on, I seem to know where to draw the line in the sand a little sooner.

Comment

Started to grind the counter today. A little more grinding tomorrow and then onto the polishing.

Comment

MND (man next door) -
                        That looks great! The polished concrete is incredible!
                        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                        My oven build thread

Comment

It still has to be polished with 200 & 400 grit before you get that pop. But I think it is looking pretty good for the initial grind.

Comment

It looks wonderful. Be sure to keep them covered up while you work on the oven! That'll get a bit sloppy even when you're careful. And the bricks can be quite abrasive.

I'd use cardboard or masonite and a lot of tape!
                            Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I have some rubber mats I was thinking about using.

Comment

Originally posted by mannextdoor View Post
                                I need to summit more post on the forum. I will be ready to cut bricks before I am an apprentice. I wouldn't want to cut bricks before I am allowed.
                                Dude - I think you are a master builder at this point - VERY nice work!

Les...
                                Check out my pictures here:
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X