Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mannextdoor WFO

Originally posted by Les View Post
    Dude - I think you are a master builder at this point - VERY nice work!

Les...
    Thanks Les

That means a lot to me coming from you. Your work looks great. I have a plan in my head that is a work in progress. When a mistake is made, I change my plan to accommodate.

Comment

Originally posted by mannextdoor View Post
      When a mistake is made, I change my plan to accommodate.
      Ah ? a true craftsman!

Les...
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Do you have a choice? I thought that made me a jackleg. I am happy with the promotion.

Comment

I love that counter top. I've seen some cement counter tops in books, but they don't look this good. I hope the pics of the final polish does it justice.

Looking good!
          Check out my oven progress here: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/phot...dex.php?u=4147

See ALL of my pictures here:
          http://picasaweb.google.com/Brevenc/...OutdoorKitchen

Comment

Will get the final polishing done today I believe. It looks like rain for the next couple of days, so it probably won't get sealed until the weekend.

Comment

Somehow I missed seeing this earlier.

The concrete came right from the redimix truck? And other than coloring had no special ingredients? The size and color variation of the gravel really looks great. I will have to add color when I do mine! I imagine that the gravel varies by what comes out of the quarries in the region. I hope my concrete comes from a good region, too.

It is coming out great - All the other landscaping you had was wonderful - I am not surprised how well this is looking. (Am still envious of the location, too!)

Christo
              My oven progress -
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
              sigpic

Comment

The concrete did come right from the redimix truck with the liquid color added. The color is in the concrete not on it. We ordered the fiberglass reinforced concrete. The size and color variation of the gravel is ordered when you order the concrete. You do want some trap rock in it for strength. The pea gravel will give you the color.

Comment

Can anyone help me with the degree of angle to cut the soldier course? I was planning on using a full brick stood on end outside of the floor. I have read that some have used 15 deg up to 22 deg. What will it do to the height of the dome? Is one better than another? Is either one correct? Does this course even need to be cut?

Comment

I figured 7deg for a 42" dome using a half brick soldier

Comment

I think it's one of those things where there are several options and maybe not a right or wrong way to do it. I cut a peice of plywood in a pie shape, at the correct height. Then, with my second course, I held the curved pie piece up against the first course and using shims angled the second course correctly, so the just touched the plywood form. Pulled the shims out and packed it with mortar. I supposed it would have been easier to just cut them at the right angle- but this worked too.
                      Check out my oven progress here: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/phot...dex.php?u=4147

See ALL of my pictures here:
                      http://picasaweb.google.com/Brevenc/...OutdoorKitchen

Comment

Originally posted by toddj View Post
                        I figured 7deg for a 42" dome using a half brick soldier
                        Thanks for you input. What was the main reason that you started your soldier course on the floor and not beside it?

Comment

Originally posted by Breven View Post
                          I think it's one of those things where there are several options and maybe not a right or wrong way to do it. I cut a peice of plywood in a pie shape, at the correct height. Then, with my second course, I held the curved pie piece up against the first course and using shims angled the second course correctly, so the just touched the plywood form. Pulled the shims out and packed it with mortar. I supposed it would have been easier to just cut them at the right angle- but this worked too.
                          I can see that all roads will take us to a WFO. I don't see any reason to reinvent the wheel. I would like to take the road with the fewest amounts of bumps. And with the least amount of mortar. Why did you choose to set you soldier course on the floor?

Comment

Mannextdoor, well my plan was not to attach the dome to the floor so when the dome expanded from the heat it would just slide on top of the floor. It will work either way...

look at my photos: PhotoPlog - Uploads Posted By toddj

Comment

I have looked at your photos. They all look great. I hope mine turns out half as good. I know that going with the soldier course on top or the side will work. I was just curious as to why someone chooses to go one way or the other.

Comment

I dont have a good answer.. Im new to all of this...

Comment

Working...
                                X