Mannextdoor WFO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mannextdoor WFO

I got to thinking about the floor that I just laded yesterday afternoon and started questioning myself. Then I thought maybe I should question someone that knows something. I just used dry fireclay to level the floor. No sand. I just sprinkled some clay on the insulation board, set a brick and tapped it down with a rubber mallet. Repeated until it was level. The level is not too bad. I was wondering if the fireclay will try to move around or out without the sand. If I need to do it over, it would be easier to do before I set any more soldier bricks.

Comment

Let the fun begin. Another question? My dome does not sit on the floor. There is about a quarter inch gap between the floor and the walls for expansion. Which I have read in previous post. Since the floor is floating and not mortared down. What keeps the bricks from moving out to the walls when you start pushing pizzas around in the oven and leaving big gaps between the bricks?

Comment

Originally posted by mannextdoor View Post
        What keeps the bricks from moving out to the walls when you start pushing pizzas around in the oven and leaving big gaps between the bricks?
        Those gaps will likely be filled with ash before you make your first pizza. I left a gap of about 1/8" or 3/16" around my floor and nothing has moved yet (after about 25 pizzas). Just make sure the floor is nice and flat so your peels and rakes don't catch the bricks.

Looking great, by the way. Love the arch!
        Picasa web album
        Oven-building thread

Comment

My oven is the same way. The dome is outside the floor with a little gap. I think it'll be fine.

I don't have an authoritative answer on the sand/fireclay base for your floor. My feeling is that it will work just fine. Since it is just a dry mix, I'm not sure what purpose the sand fills other than allowing you to use less fireclay. Personally, I wouldn't worry.
          Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
          My oven build thread

Comment

Thanks for the come backs so soon. I hate doing things over, but is better then living with a mistake for years to come.

Comment

I had a couple of hours this afternoon and was able to mortar in the inside arch. I hope to have some time this weekend to work on the oven. The weather is going to be nice.

Comment

God speed, considering where you live, it could turn to crap REAL fast. Are there any ovens from Costa Rica? As we (USA) fall into winter, I really understand the lure of the equator.

P.S. Your project is looking great!

Les...
                Check out my pictures here:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Thanks Les

My intent was to cut all my bricks nice and neat, with little mortar. The HF saw does not allow for a cut through the thick part of the brick without a back cut. I had only ordered 2 bags of HS50 thinking I would use very little mortar. With winter closing in, I am forgoing all the back cuts and try to get it done before the snow flies. I ordered 2 more bags of HS50 the other day. I hope it will be here before I need it. I would like to finish the oven this fall, so that it can cure all winter. I won?t fire it until spring. I have crossed the equator several times and been close to it several times. But have not been to Costa Rica. Any where near the equator would be nice in the coming months. Here is a picture of another project that I have going on. I am having a barge load of concrete delivered once a week, to shore up and extend my shore line. You get one guess as to who is unloading it.

Comment

Ouch! That makes my back hurt just thinking about it.

Les...

Comment

• Re: Mannextdoor WFO

I mortared in the soldier course today. Will it be dry enough to do a second coarse tomorrow? Can two rows be done in one day?

Comment

yes, you can do more than one a day. Just don't move any of the bricks in the previous rows while you're working!
                        Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

I managed to get a row done today after I unloaded the barge. Tomorrow I intend to hit it hard. I had to stop early today. We had a house full in for a fish fry.

Comment

Sunrise to Sunset. I got three rows done today. I can hardly move. This is more labor intensive then I thought it would be. But I am enjoying it.

Comment

Really looks great! I agree, it's no walk in the park. I thought the foundation work was going to be the hard part. I think the biggest pain is getting up and down the oven stand, bending over, working upside down, your knees ramming against the bricks.

Great start!
                              Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                              My oven build thread

Comment

Originally posted by mannextdoor View Post
                                I can hardly move. This is more labor intensive then I thought it would be.
                                It's looking good! It is pretty funny, I think everybody that has built one of these has discovered muscles that we never knew we had. Gotta admit - it's a good pain.

Les...

Comment

Working...
                                X