New Sydney Sandstone and Brick Dome Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matt Taylor View Post
    Hi tim what size was your oven stand as I'm looking at building this size as well in a corner. Also what plans did you follow? Looks great btw
    Hey Matt,

I did 1800mm x 1800mm outside walls and the returns were 1000mm each with the front face being 1130mm wide (give or take a bit with the rough sandstone edges). I basically followed the top right layout here ... https://www.sydneyfirebricks.net.au/...ifications.pdf

Height wise, it was around 1050 high from the top of the bottom slab to the top of the top one, so the cooking surface ended up around 1150mm high.

Comment

Thanks Tim,
      Did you purchase a kit from this place as well or did you design it from ground up?

Comment

Mate that’s an oven! Love the the arch, it’s the same design I’m using. I’m going to reference your photos as I progress.
        Looking at your hearth it appears you haven’t put an insulation layer down first, are you relying on the two layers of slabs to hold the heat ?

Vince Ieraci

This is rocket science.

Comment

Originally posted by timneva View Post
          Thought I'd start posting up some progress photos of my new oven and base. Oven is going in this weekend (fingers crossed) so will get the ball rolling with the base and post up the pics of the brick oven post the weekend.
          What is the max temperature in this oven to bake cookies or pizza ??..

Comment

You will jave a hard time with cookies above 500F as the sugars will start to burn before the cookies fully bake most likely. As for pizza a floor temp from 750F to 900F is very comon depending on styly you are going for and the dome can be well over 1000F. Is this what you are looking for?

Randy

Comment

Thanks Tim,
              Did you purchase a kit from this place as well or did you design it from ground up?
              Hey Matt,

sorry for the late reply but yes bought one of their brick kits and as I have a brick saw, bought their basic one and cut the bricks myself. They do have a pre-cut brick kit too, but is a bit more expensive.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Gretsch View Post
                Mate that’s an oven! Love the the arch, it’s the same design I’m using. I’m going to reference your photos as I progress.
                Looking at your hearth it appears you haven’t put an insulation layer down first, are you relying on the two layers of slabs to hold the heat ?
                Hi Vince,

yeh - the photos don't show it but I used calcium silicate board under the hearth as an insulating layer which was cut to the size of the floor itself. Hope that helps

Comment

Originally posted by pizzaadmin View Post

What is the max temperature in this oven to bake cookies or pizza ??..
                  Yes as Randy points out - cookies and pizza need to be cooked at vastly different temps. I generally light my oven and get it up to temp for pizzas (around 350 celcius on the oven wall thermometer), cook my pizzas, close the oven door and then cook breads, cakes, cookies or a roast etc the next day once the temp drops

Cheers,
                  Tim

Comment

Hi tim what size was your oven stand as I'm looking at building this size as well in a corner. Also what plans did you follow? Looks great btw
                    Just be careful if building into a corner that you leave yourself enough room to get to the sides and back of the oven. It is a bitch to do the outer layers otherwise.
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                    X