Joe's Pizza Oven Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe's Pizza Oven Build

Thanks FB members for all your tips, photos, and videos. They were very helpful. Mine took seven months, but had a few months of delay. It was worth every hour and every dime though. I'll check in periodically so if anyone has questions or comments, fire away.

Joe,

That's a very nice oven. I went through the video twice. It looks like you did your your homework. I love the finish. Is that cracked ceramic tile? Great job!
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks Joe W. Your oven is incredible too, one of he best I've seen. Yes, it's cracked tile. I was gong to purchase the mosaic tile from on of the local box stores, but they sell for $10 and up per sq ft. We used one of the cheapest tiles they had at less than $1 per sq ft. Needed 45 sq ft so the savings was substantial. Plus, it was interestingly satisfying to break the tile like that.

Comment

I love the cracked tile. It takes time and skill to put the puzzle back together. On top of that, making it conform to the dome! I also love cheaper .
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Nice work. It's called "trencadis" and pioneered by one of my heros Antonio Gaudi.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Great job and video, Joe! I like the fact that you have several good views of the smoke hood/collection chamber and chimney connection. Seems like that concept is always coming up with the new build and it will be nice to direct folks to your video in the future to let them see this process. Thank you for making the video and posting the link here for us to enjoy!

Did you use one of the paint-on bathroom waterproof sealers (the green coat just under the trencadis) before/during/after curing the oven? Redgard sealer has been recommended several times in the forum and I assume this is just another brand...?
            Last edited by SableSprings; 09-27-2017, 09:25 AM.
            Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
            Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
            Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
            Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks Mike, and yes I put the sealer on after I did the first fire.

Comment

I love the cracked tile finish, I've been deep in the planning stages and rushing ahead to think about how I'll finish my oven, the cracked/broken tile is a great idea. Is it sharp on the edges to the touch or did you just stuff loads of ground between so it is flush?

Comment

Thanks BanjoOgre. Yes, it breaks off sharp edges and points like glass, so you have to be careful when you pick up the pieces. Be sure to clean up well, as the little shards fly everywhere. I needed a few cuts and scratches to teach me the value of latex gloves. Once the pieces are in place, grout with thick rubber gloves. Your sponge will be ripped to shreds by the end. Once it's grouted though, the pointed corners aren't an issue and the edges will only be a minor concern as you proudly hug your amazing creation.

Comment

If you a have a small table top wet saw, you can square, smooth, round, or bevel those very sharp corners. I've done this on some bathroom floors where a bare foot and a sharp raised edge could be a real problem. Touching up the edges is not as hard as it sounds. The very smallest shards are thrown away. Have a few 1/4" plywood squares ready that are just a little larger that the tiles that you are cracking. Crack the tiles with a rubber mallet on the plywood square. You will need to raise the edges of the tile while breaking. Throw the very smallest shards away and keep the larger ones assembled on the plywood square. You can then go to the wet saw and work the edges. Place each piece back where it goes on the plywood square (I usually add one more step here and clean each piece in clean water before placing it back on the plywood because a dirty tile may not adhere to the thinset). I haven't done this on a convex shape but, I'm sure that treating the edges will help with the installation.

Comment

A pair of tile nippers would also help blunt some of the most extreme dagger like edges without going to a lot of trouble.

Comment

Working...
                      X