No announcement yet.

1.2M Oven w/BBQ & Tandoor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, it is the air in the bottles that does the insulating. Use empty ones, don’t waste the wine.
    Last edited by david s; 08-23-2018, 01:28 PM.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Chippy View Post

Thank you Russell. Maybe I read it from one of your older posts
      Correction 5:1 for under floor 8-10:1 for over the dome

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
        The hydrated lime is a cementious material and capable of withstanding higher temperatures than portland cement.(around 500C as opposed to around 300C). This is its primary function in the home-brew mix. If you replace it with clay which is quite refractory it is not a cementious material although it will set quite hard as in a cob oven. It is really only an extremely fine aggregate. Also the higher proportion of clay in the mix leads to more shrinkage (cracking).
        Apologies for not getting back to you all sooner. With budget, building new house, ruptured gallbladder amongst the reasons

Of course the issue of hydrated lime was a stumbler.

Then after a bit of research, I asked around and of course many of the old Spanish buildings used adobe blocks and lime mortar for joints and render

This render/plaster is called Paledada and is made from anapog which translates to limestone.

Armed with this word, anapog, I found out there was a deposit of it 400 metres from my house on the mountain side. The owner owner of the land is a friend, so he said I could take what I need.

It will take a few days to grind it down to powder. It breaks in pieces your hand, but working it to a powder takes more effort.

Now, back to this homebrew. I have the lime. I have potters clay, I have sand. I have cement

Recipe suggestions would be much appreciated.

Budget remains the same:
        • Perlite 100 L .......... $25.00
        • Shipping ................ $21.50
        • 60 hollow blocks ... $19.00
        • 4 bags Portland .... $18.00
        • 300 bricks ............. $60.00
        • 10 bags portland ... $45.00
        • Perlite 200 L ...........$50.00
        • Shipping ............... $43.00
        • Portland ................ $4.50
        Running total : ................. $286.00
        Last edited by Irish Chippy; 02-22-2019, 01:19 AM. Reason: add photos

Comment

I think you will need to research a little more. Crushed limestone is not a cementious material, it needs to be calcined. The process is to heat the crushed limestone to around 900 C, it then acts like cement.
          https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2013/09/lime-kilns.html
          Last edited by david s; 02-22-2019, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
            I think you will need to research a little more. Crushed limestone is not a cementious material, it needs to be calcined. The process is to heat the crushed limestone to around 900 C, it then acts like cement.
            https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2013/09/lime-kilns.html
            Wow David. Thank you
            The anapog I have is not anything like limestone we get in Ireland
            It is just like chalk, and the locals say this is used for make paledada
            As I said in the last post, this stuff breaks in your hand

Best I do bit of testing then

Comment

Working...
            X