Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petter
    replied
    Long time since last update. After some mock-up testing, I ended up with a 40" deck instead. The dome shape is a super ellipse with the factor Pi/sqrt(2). 14" dome height. 8" high door, 18" wide. The super ellipse is equal to a 36" normal ellipse with 9" soldiers as dome shape. Instead of soldiers, I decided to let the math give me a nice curvature and strong transition from vertical to horizontal.

I like the look of a classic dome with laying bricks in every course but wanted the flat dome from the Neapolitan ovens. Hence the super ellipse.

Click image for larger version  Name:	_20210904_214110.JPG Views:	0 Size:	272.5 KB ID:	441426

Click image for larger version  Name:	_20210904_214142.JPG Views:	0 Size:	263.4 KB ID:	441427

Click image for larger version  Name:	_20210904_214753.JPG Views:	0 Size:	257.0 KB ID:	441428

Click image for larger version  Name:	_20210904_214623.JPG Views:	0 Size:	277.3 KB ID:	441429
    I had to increase the grain size in the mortar as the joints were getting larger. It explain the difference in color.

It was a bit trickey in the end since I used pre-tapered bricks and a sheet brick guide. Though it looked centered from the outside, an offset appeared on the inside. Hmmm. Let say it ads personality to the dome :-) I'm pleased after all. My very first masonsry project stands by it self!

Click image for larger version  Name:	_20210904_214836.JPG Views:	0 Size:	266.7 KB ID:	441430
    Now, I have some thinking to do about the flue gallery.

/Petter
    Last edited by Petter; 09-04-2021, 01:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Petter
    replied
    Last blocks mortared in place today.

Leave a comment:

• Petter
    started a topic 32" Ellipse-dome brick WFO in Sweden

32" Ellipse-dome brick WFO in Sweden

Hi and welcome to this build log. Besides the first images, the build is in real-time. I have no previous maison experience but as I understand, this is quite common. First time has to be some time...

It all started a few years ago after a few pizza parties in steel barrels. Design quite simular to the Uuni ovens. It worked decent but the temperature control due to lack of thermal mass made the cooking challenging.

I had difficulties to select if I was going to build a mass oven or a light weight (from IFB. Cost is no issue, I have both kinds.). A winter morning I had a long look in the fire in the living room stove with vermiculite insulated walls. It cleared in 45 minutes and really struggled to clear in the lower parts of the stove, dispute high heat output. I think I needed that visual impression to understand why it would not work properly in a WFO. My hoping was initially that it would get hot faster, but in reality - the difference is small and you can't enjoy residual heat cooking. There are a lot written on this forum as well regarding mass layer or not in the dome. I've read all I could find...

There are a few photos from the front yard where the oven is going to be built. See the enclosed photos.

/Petter

Working...
X