Near completion, Pompeii build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Near completion, Pompeii build

Well, we are nearly complete with the new WFO build... And really looking forward to learning how to cook in this new back yard appliance!

I still have two significant projects to wrap up on this oven; the stucco exterior, and a counter top. In the mean time, the curing process is in full swing.

As part of the 'curing' I will attempt a slow cook pork dish. The pulled pork dish you all were talking about caught my attention, so when I get the temperatures up a bit in the oven, I'll toss a pork shoulder in the oven with a bit of sauce and let it simmer over night...

I started this build in the middle of March '08, and have a bit over $1,100 USD invested so far.. and shouldn't need to buy much more stuff to finish the build.

The picture-story of this build is in the photo gallery...

This image is the curing fire from today. Kind of have to work at it to keep the fire from getting to big!

JED

Re: Near completion, Pompeii build

I've seen your pics in the photoblog. Nice build Jed. Take a pic of that first pulled pork dish. What a nice way to start while you cure the oven.

Coldish Spring out there in Bend this year, huh? I was considering a trip to the Deschutes downstream at Maupin, but I figured the hatches were way off schedule. Normally, it should be 90 degrees and blazing hot during the days. Not this year.
    GJBingham
    -----------------------------------
    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
      Coldish Spring out there in Bend this year, huh? I was considering a trip to the Deschutes downstream at Maupin, but I figured the hatches were way off schedule. Normally, it should be 90 degrees and blazing hot during the days. Not this year.
      This is our first spring on the east side of the mountains...(born and raised in the PDX area). All the old timer's here report that it is a cold spring, and as of the past week, it is getting wet (and that is OK as we were well below normal precip on the year so far.. even with record snow in the mountains...).

We are moving here from Anchorage, so although it may be colder than 'normal', it's all good to me!

JED

Comment

Jed,

Looks great!!!!

I'm hoping to start curing next weekend. I think I'll christen the oven with the first fire and let my wife have the honor of lighting it. She's been putting up with my obsession for over a year now.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Dick

Comment

Did you use the word "obsession"?

I guess I'm not the only guy with a near single focus...

I've enjoyed watching your build also, the oven is looking great and even more importantly, it looks like your family is really enjoying the process...

Good luck with the curing - have you decided when to start cooking, or will you wait until you can get the oven hot enough for pizza?

JED

Comment

Anchorage to Bend. Grab a water bottle. It's going to get hot soon! Keep us posted on the curing and cooking.
            George
            GJBingham
            -----------------------------------
            Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Working...
            X