Hansen Horno

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hansen Horno

Really nice work Daren! Can't wait to be at that point...next year for me. Need improvement in the weather and job workload to complete dome before the snow.

Your build is inspiring. Thanks. Dan

Comment

Darren,

I've noticed the ovens getting better with each new generation of forum members. I think yours has helped set the new standard. It looks fantastic. Congradulations!

Enjoy it, as I did mine, until the new standard is set.

Then, if you wish, you can ask the "what was I thinking" question.

I don't think you will need to ask it any time soon. Yours looks great and timeless.

dusty

Comment

hey daren,,

5 years from now I'll be saying "WHAT was I thinking?!?"
        Im doubting it... It looks fantastic,, be proud...

When you finished your sbc did you use a trowel or a sponge ? I finished mine with a sponge to get a slightly rough texture and misted with a water bottle..

Did you add the acrylic fortifier ?

The fortifier will add waterproofing and a little more stretch to the product, accoding to their help line. You can also put on as many coats as you like right on top of the last one if your worried about the cracks..

Cheers
        Mark

Comment

Thanks everyone!! Dusty, it sounds just like computers -- as soon as you get the latest model, it's obsolete! Thanks for the comments, though.

Mark, I have only applied one thin coat of stucco so far; I was hoping to get the top coat on this year but it's too cold now, I'm afraid. I used a trowel for the first layer, but I'll definitely try a sponge on the top coat, thanks. I did not add a fortifier, but I'm considering it for the top coat. This is what the local retailer has: link. Is that the stuff? If I'm using surface bonding cement, would you use the fortifier in place of ALL the water? If that's the case, it seems like I'd need gallons and gallons of the stuff, and it's pretty expensive. Or did you mix it with some water?
          - Daren
          Picasa web album
          Oven-building thread

Comment

Daren,

Home Depot sells 2-1/2 gallons of acrylic mortar admix for $20. I've used this to mix mortar for tiling jobs. You use this instead of water. It's a white liquid, almost looks and pours like non-fat milk.
            I assume this product sells for a lot less than Quikrete's Acrylic Fortifier and may work as well with their surface bonding cement / Quikwall.
            Last edited by fxpose; 10-23-2009, 09:33 AM.
            George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

hey daren,
              I think thats the one, If im not misateken, It was one of the small bottles per bag, I did put the SBC on with a trowel, just finish it with the sponge, after a while I would dip the sponge in a 5 gal pail with clean water, wring it out a little and smooth over any seams or lines i had,, you can finish with a trowel if you want the dome smooth. I just prefered the rough finish..

Cheers
              Mark

Comment

No more tarp!! The roof is done. I'm a little nervous about exposing my "baby" to the elements, but I think she's ready.

The new "door" in the oven entranceway is my arch form with some weather-seal around the outside edges. Temporarily sealing out the water until I can make something nicer.

I think that's it for this year. Remaining work includes the door for the wood storage area, a final coat of stucco, paint for the eaves, an exterior door for the oven, and the lights (ugh, more digging....).

Daren
                Last edited by dbhansen; 10-25-2009, 07:40 PM.
                Picasa web album
                Oven-building thread

Comment

Hey Daren,,
                  Looks great,, nice job on everything.. It all blends very well..

Cheers and congrats
                  Mark

Comment

Congratulations, Daren, on a terrific build! It really came together nicely. I like your roof. Did you make your own copper flashing cap for the chimney, or have it fabricated?

Looks great!
                    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                    My oven build thread

Comment

Thanks Mike! The roofing manufacturer did the chimney cap for me.
                      Picasa web album
                      Oven-building thread

Comment

It looks great Daren, I'm so jealous. Your oven sits in such a nice setting. The stone patio in front is very nice too.

When you say "ugh" on the lights, did you put lights in but have not yet dug for the power to the oven? -Dino
                        "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                        http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                        http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Originally posted by Dino_Pizza View Post
                          When you say "ugh" on the lights, did you put lights in but have not yet dug for the power to the oven?
                          Thanks again, Dino! Yes, that's it exactly. The oven is wired for lights but I have to connect it to the house. But that's a long-range goal; I think I'll do some cooking first!
                          Picasa web album
                          Oven-building thread

Comment

Daren you built a beautiful oven ! I enjoyed your pics on Picasa. I am just starting my long project in Santa Fe. We have cold winters here at 7000 ft so I dug a trench footer 36" deep, poured an L shaped kitchen counter and oven slab 6" thick in the bottom of the trench (gravel base). I realized after the fact that "oops", now my outdoor kitchen counter has a basement..., we filled that void on top of the subsurface slab with lots of concrete blocks and filled them. Lots of extra concrete and block, I wish I had dug a footer like yours. How did you build the forms for the cantilevered landing? I saw the pics and the final outcome,looks great, but did not see any info on how you did that.
                            Thanks for any advice, Ed

Comment

Thanks Ed!! I love Santa Fe. I can't believe you needed a deep footer there, but at least it will be stable. Do the houses there have deep foundations?

Originally posted by mackerrow View Post
                              How did you build the forms for the cantilevered landing?
                              Yeah, I completely forgot to document that part of it. But check out Ken's pictures. I got all my ideas from him! The landing is a bit small, so in hindsight I would have done what you did and built a foundation for a counter right away.

Daren
                              Picasa web album
                              Oven-building thread

Comment

Hi Daren, the code here is 32" deep footers, although most people don't really go down that deep. We have deep foundations on the houses, but nothing like where you are, i.e. no basements out here. This weekend I hope to lay the block for the hearth and rest of the attached outdoor kitchen, looking forward to the actual build of the dome -- slowly over the winter and spring.
                                ed

Comment

Working...
                                X