X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dino_Pizza
    replied
    Re: Hansen Horno

Wow, that looks so good Daren! Your flashing work looks well done. Sharp looking oven! -Cheers, Dino

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Great job, Daren! The copper chimney cover looks great against that roof tile. Nice work.

Leave a comment:

• dbhansen
    replied

I put in a few more hours today and got the chimney flashing done and the rest of the roof tiles. Next comes the rake and hip trim and some end caps, and the roof will be done! One more day should do it.

I made the mistake of letting the roof tile supplier make a custom chimney cover before I did the flashing, so now it's sitting too high (the flashing is raised off the roof on two sides to support the tiles, which forces the chimney cover to sit a bit higher). So, I'll have to carefully trim the copper ring at the top of the cover so I can get the top of the chimney on. Hopefully I won't mess it up!

- Daren
    Last edited by dbhansen; 10-18-2009, 08:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Daren, that roof is really going to look great when it's complete. We should have a few nice days yet this year.

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

That tile color with your stone and counter is going to look so cool. Can't wait to see it when it's all done.

Leave a comment:

• dbhansen
    replied

Thanks Aaron and Dino! I got the doweling idea from you, Dino. I have Hardie plank siding under the eaves, but it's not sealed or painted yet. I'm not sure if I'll paint the wood fascia boards or leave them with that natural finish.

Here's a few bad shots of the latest work. Got a few rows of cement roof tiles installed. All the prep work was the hard part; the tiles are very easy to attach. I'm still trying to figure out the flashing at the chimney before I proceed further. Each interlocking tile is installed with one 2" screw going into a wooden batten strip. I'll have 4 rows per side. An L-shaped tile will cover the rake edge (visible in the 3rd picture).

I wish now that I had taken the time to stagger the roof tiles, instead of placing them in straight rows across the roof, but that would have meant cutting the batten strips into tile-length pieces and attaching all 50-70 of them in a staggered pattern. Maybe next time!
    Last edited by dbhansen; 10-14-2009, 07:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Daren, your roofing skills look like they will match your excellent oven building skills. I like the copper cant strip and the up-tilt at the edge for proper roof tile angles. Nice job dowling your nail holes on your eave boards. I like the look of the wood grain. What are going to do under the eaves? It looks like you've finished it somehow but I can't tell if that's your stucco or something else.
    Cheers, Dino

Leave a comment:

• dbhansen
    replied

The latest progress. The oak fascia boards look "splotchy" because I had to sand them in spots after covering the fasteners with pieces of dowel. I'll have to clean that up later. The plywood on the roof will support the bottom row of cement roof tiles. I'm ready to start attaching the tiles, but I still have to figure out the flashing around the chimney.

Leave a comment:

• aaronwilliams123456
    replied

wow... that's an excellent job you did with the oven. It definitely takes some dedication for such a huge task.

Leave a comment:

• dbhansen
    replied

Originally posted by sjmeff View Post
    I'm going to be applying Quikrete surface bonding cement in a few weeks to my igloo. Did you mix it by hand or with a mixer? Was it difficult to work with? Any other lessons learned that you can pass along?
    Thanks Stephen! I mixed the Quikrete by hand, 1/2 a bag at a time. It was surprisingly easy to work with and stuck like glue. The hardest part was cleaning up the splatter. My only advice is to make the wall wet before applying it, and cover the area with plastic to keep the stuff from getting on everything! I also found that I had to spray it down frequently for the next day or two after applying, to prevent cracking. It really soaked up the water, and I still got a few cracks. I also think I applied it too thin, so be mindful of how thick you're spreading it. I'll have to go thicker with the next layer. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• sjmeff
    replied

Wow, it's really looking great, Daren. I've enjoyed watching your build and have learned a lot from the pictures you've posted.

I'm going to be applying Quikrete surface bonding cement in a few weeks to my igloo. Did you mix it by hand or with a mixer? Was it difficult to work with? Any other lessons learned that you can pass along?

Cheers,
    Stephen

Leave a comment:

• dbhansen
    replied

A little more progress, though lacking in pictures. I added another layer of Hardiebacker to the front wall (with a slice of insulation board between the firebrick chimney and outer layer of Hardiebacker) and then put the first layer of stucco all around, using Quikrete surface bonding cement (3 bags). I used Hardieplank lap siding for soffits and added a weatherproof cover to the thermocouple box on the side.

We had a pizza party on Saturday and the recent additions performed reasonably well --- the front wall didn't get too hot, I "only" have one hairline crack in the decorative arch, and not much smoke came out the front.

Daren
    Last edited by dbhansen; 09-07-2009, 08:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dbhansen
    replied

Originally posted by mfiore View Post
    ...great brick work. Looks like you've been doing this your whole life.
    Sometimes it feels that way, but you should see it up close! One whole side is crooked, there's a hairline crack across a joint ... I could go on. But my wife never noticed and that's good enough for me! Thanks for the comments.

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

I like the wide sides to the arch, Daren. It gives the sense of strength and substance to the entrance. Again, great brick work. Looks like you've been doing this your whole life.

Leave a comment:

• dbhansen
    replied

I think I've placed my last brick!! What a relief. This isn't the style of decorative arch we wanted originally, but I couldn't find any pavers (bricks with no holes) so I had to change plans. Instead of a keystone, I left the top middle brick sticking out a bit. The arch sits about 1/2" lower than the middle arch, which should help direct the smoke upward (I hope). Still need to clean the bricks with some acid. Is it best to do that ASAP?

I will be placing a thin layer of insulation board over the vent bricks that are visible above the new arch, then I'll put another layer of Hardiebacker over the whole face before beginning the stucco. Those vent bricks get super hot, so hopefully the insulation will tame that a bit.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X