• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dbhansen
    replied
    Re: Hansen Horno

Originally posted by HummerGB View Post
    How did you do the concrete on the counter?.
    I had a local guy do it for me. Click here for few pictures at the time of installation.

Leave a comment:

• KraemerBAC
    replied

The lights look great and I know what you mean about getting a little closer each year. I finally finished all the roof components...counter needs to get done and then some stonework

Peter

Leave a comment:

• HummerGB
    replied

I love you design. Simple, Elegant looking. How did you do the concrete on the counter?.

Leave a comment:

• dbhansen
    replied

I finally wired in my lights, darkened the wood trim, and painted the soffits. Every year, it's a little closer to being done!

Leave a comment:

• HummerGB
    replied

Thanks Daren I'am on it.

Leave a comment:

• dbhansen
    replied

Hi Hummer,
    I got a 50# sack of HeatStop 50 through County Materials in Appleton. They had to special order it, so shipping was costly. There were few other choices short of driving to Chicago. I would suggest contacting some of the WI dealers to see what they have. There may be more sources now compared to when I was looking. Good luck!
    Daren

Leave a comment:

• HummerGB
    replied

db I am in Green Bay starting an oven. Question...were did you get your fireclay?. seems to be a mysterious substance in Green Bay.

Leave a comment:

• dbhansen
    replied

Thanks! The door is solid 2" lumber, no insulation. It's just for the exterior arch so hopefully it won't get too hot, as long as I keep the inner door on.

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

hey, Daren, Great to hear from you!

The oven looks great! The door really ties everything in nicely? Is it insulated in any fashion? Can you use it in on the hot oven, or will it burn up? Again, looks great!

Leave a comment:

• Modthyrth
    replied

Wow, I love the oven door! The whole thing looks absolutely amazing. I'm impressed that you're actually using the wood storage; I can't be bothered to haul more than a fire's worth from the wood pile at a time. ;-)

Leave a comment:

• dbhansen
    replied

FWIW, here's the latest "state" of my oven. It still needs a final coat of stucco, but I made a rather rustic outer door and decided to go without a door for the wood storage area, at least for the time being (I'll see how it does over the winter). Now that light wood trim under the roof is bothering me; I need to make that darker.

Leave a comment:

• dbhansen
    replied

Hey Dan, sorry for the delay. The chimney plate was holding up fine at the time I sealed it all up. No cracks there. I was following someone else's lead when I installed it, and I haven't heard of anyone else having any problems with that method. I'm sorry I can't recall the screw size....

Leave a comment:

• schallert
    replied

Hi Darin,

I am ready to mount the chimney anchor plate. I plan on following your technique with tapcon screws. What size did you use? I assume the insulation is to allow for expansion and prevent the hot plate from fracturing the brick base. How is it holding up? Would the screws heat up and potentially fracturing the brick chimney base? My other option is to use the technique Dino did. Looking for your advise.

Thanks,

Dan

Leave a comment:

• mackerrow
    replied

Hi Daren, the code here is 32" deep footers, although most people don't really go down that deep. We have deep foundations on the houses, but nothing like where you are, i.e. no basements out here. This weekend I hope to lay the block for the hearth and rest of the attached outdoor kitchen, looking forward to the actual build of the dome -- slowly over the winter and spring.
    ed

Leave a comment:

• dbhansen
    replied

Thanks Ed!! I love Santa Fe. I can't believe you needed a deep footer there, but at least it will be stable. Do the houses there have deep foundations?

Originally posted by mackerrow View Post
    How did you build the forms for the cantilevered landing?
    Yeah, I completely forgot to document that part of it. But check out Ken's pictures. I got all my ideas from him! The landing is a bit small, so in hindsight I would have done what you did and built a foundation for a counter right away.

Daren

Leave a comment:

Working...
X