X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dbhansen
    replied
    Re: Hansen Horno

And the completed outer arch with the first layer of bricks to support the chimney base.

Leave a comment:

• dbhansen
    replied

Here are some pictures of the outer arch construction.

Leave a comment:

• aureole
    replied

I think five weeks should be fine - to be honest, you could bake pizzas in a cured but uncovered oven. The heatstop wouldn't take long to cure - less than a week probably.

I've read that curing can be done as a continual process - rather than cycling the oven, put the door on to hold the heat and gradually raise it each day.

Leave a comment:

• dbhansen
    replied

Question: Let's say I get my chimney done by next weekend (really pushing it). Would it be reasonable to answer "yes" to my son's request to have a birthday pizza party about 5 weeks later? I have no idea how long the curing process will take. Can I reasonably expect to be baking 6 weeks from now?

For the dome insulation, I plan to use a blanket insulation and loose vermiculite, so no curing there. I am thinking of coating the dome with my remaining bag of HeatStop, though, to add some thermal mass (maybe 1/2"). That would add some curing time.

Leave a comment:

• dbhansen
    replied

Thanks for the feedback guys! Much appreciated. As I told my wife, I'm basically satisfied with the way it turned out, but I'm saving perfection for my NEXT oven (when I'm retired and have more time on my hands).

I just realized that I have a flower on my dome, thanks to the unfortunate aligning of two mortar joints forming the stem. They don't align on the inside, though, so maybe it won't be an issue.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Daren,

NICE WORK! It's a beauty.

Leave a comment:

• aureole
    replied

I was lucky that my failure to cut a proper final course gave me a great selection of brick odds and ends to use!

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Daren,

I agree! The dome looks incredible! Perfect symmetry. Looks like you've been doing this for years!

Leave a comment:

• dbhansen
    replied

Originally posted by aureole View Post
    That's an absolute beauty - it's going to be a crime to cover it up with insulation! Have you got any pictures of the keystone going in because it looks so damn perfect!
    Thanks! It is a shame these things have to be covered. Alas, no pictures of the keystone, but it reminded me of this:

I just started with a small square of brick and slowly cut more and more off until it fit!

Leave a comment:

• aureole
    replied

That's an absolute beauty - it's going to be a crime to cover it up with insulation! Have you got any pictures of the keystone going in because it looks so damn perfect!

Leave a comment:

• dbhansen
    replied

Thanks Todd! Here's an interior view I forgot to post earlier....

Leave a comment:

• dbhansen
    replied

And here is my start on the outer arch. Not sure how I'll be completing it yet. I definitely think I'll need some kind of buttressing on the outside of the arch walls. I'm thinking of doubling-up the wall thickness by adding a stack of bricks, or perhaps a perpendicular stack of bricks. Or maybe just a steel "L" bracket of some sort. I'm open to suggestions!

The walls look really thin from this angle, but they're actually a full brick width where they butt up to the inner arch and they taper down a bit at the outside edge.
    Last edited by dbhansen; 08-17-2008, 09:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• toddj
    replied

Thats amazing! Awsome job!!!

Leave a comment:

• dbhansen
    replied

Dome is complete! The first 2 pics are outside, the third is from the inside. A little choppy, but I'm satisfied with it. In hindsight, I should have crafted a better form to help guide the final courses into place, because it was too easy to misplace the bricks. Final inside height is 20.5 inches; 1/2 inch shy of my plan.

Leave a comment:

• dbhansen
    replied

Another good weekend of progress. Here are some pics as I completed the dome. The rod/wire sticking out on the first 2 pics is a thermocouple probe.

Still limping on that foot, but it's getting better! I only needed the crutches for one day.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X