Hansen Horno

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hansen Horno

I wish I had the skill, time and patience to do a proper angle-cut oven, they look terrific!

Great work!
    Matt S, Cambs, UK
    42" Pompeii

Pizza oven pictures - WIP!

Pizza oven costs (so far!)

Comment

Thanks guys. I really feel like I'm "flying by the seat of my pants," just trying to get through it without making a major mistake!

I think I will go with a "mini-taper" for the next course(s), which I hope to complete on Sunday. So instead of cutting a taper across the entire bottom face of each dome brick, I'll cut it through only half the face. That should make the dome go faster (less brick wasted), but leave a bigger gap on the outside to fill with mortar. The same as beaglestorm demonstrated in the attached image and described here.

If anyone thinks this is a bad idea, please let me know before Sunday!
      Picasa web album
      Oven-building thread

Comment

Originally posted by dbhansen View Post
        I think I will go with a "mini-taper" for the next course(s), which I hope to complete on Sunday. So instead of cutting a taper across the entire bottom face of each dome brick, I'll cut it through only half the face.
        It's a great idea! I actually did that in a few sections of my dome and it works fine. Go for it!
        Ken H. - Kentucky
        42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
        Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
          It's a great idea! I actually did that in a few sections of my dome and it works fine. Go for it!
          Glad to hear that, Ken, thanks!
          Picasa web album
          Oven-building thread

Comment

Done with the 5th course, and starting the arch transition. You can see that I didn't taper the 5th course as much as the others, so there's a bigger mortar gap on the outside, but there was less cutting. I think this is the approach I'll use on the next course(s) too.
            Picasa web album
            Oven-building thread

Comment

Nice work. Are you cutting/beveling/angling/tapering (what ever the proper term is) the sides of the bricks also, or just the mini taper on the bottom? What is your planned final dome height?
              Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
              My oven build thread

Comment

Thanks Mike. Yep, I'm still cutting an angle on the sides of each piece to eliminate the triangle-shaped gap. So I'm really only saving one cut by not tapering the full underside of each brick, but I'm not cutting away as much brick on the inside face, which should make the dome go a little faster. I'm aiming for a dome height of 21". Right now, it feels like I'll never get there!

I've gone through more than 3 Harbor Freight saw blades already. Not sure why. Last night I bought a Husky blade; I'll see if that lasts longer. I think these bricks are medium duty; maybe that has something to do with it.
                Picasa web album
                Oven-building thread

Comment

The next course, tying into the arch.
                  Picasa web album
                  Oven-building thread

Comment

Eighth course. I used a "bridge" to get it over the arch. I hope that's a sound method!
                    Last edited by dbhansen; 08-09-2008, 06:18 PM.
                    Picasa web album
                    Oven-building thread

Comment

It's looking good!

As far as your blades go, are you using enough water when you cut? I found with my little baby wet circular saw that if I ran it too dry it was more difficult and burned up my blade faster.
                      Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Daren, you are burning through this dome! Looks outstanding. I like the "bridge". It seems to fill in the void that many domes have had when crossing the arch. To me, it's quite sound. Really just a continuation of the seventh course. Great build. I'm following (and copying) it step by step!
                        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                        My oven build thread

Comment

Thanks all! I think I will try running the garden hose on the blade, lightly. I do have the built-in pump set to max. I tried soaking all my bricks before cutting today, and I still burned through another $35 blade after about 2.5 courses. It must be these bricks, although I believe others who used medium-duty bricks only used 1-2 blades, so what's wrong with me?!? I'm also trying to reduce my cuts, so that may help. Overall, the blades are (so far) a fairly minor investment when looking at the whole project.

A note about that bridge: I did cut a small "V" groove along the length of the underside so it locks into the arch somewhat. Attached is a pic of the back side of that area. I would have notched 2 regular bricks for that spot, but the notches would have been too deep.
                          Picasa web album
                          Oven-building thread

Comment

I somehow missed out on this build so far... its looking really good! That bridge is a great idea (maybe needs to be put in the photo gallery, as inspiration to future builders?)

And its still perfectly round after tying in the archway. This is one outstanding dome.
                            "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Daren,

The bridge looks great.

I'm really surprised you are going through blades like that. I used medium duty bricks, and like I said, I still have several layers left on my original blade.

The blade I used is a segmented blade very similar to this one:
                              MK Diamond 10 In. Premium Grade Segmented Diamond Blade For Paver Bricks. - MK- 10S 10" at The Home Depot. From what I have read, the segmented blades get through the bricks a bit faster.

The label on it was yellow, so I'm thinking it is a Bosch from Home Depot. It may have been around $70. I think I told you it was a bit less in the private message.
                              Ken H. - Kentucky
                              42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                              Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

db - That's one sweet looking wfo you're building there. I grew up in the Neenah area and went to FVL. As much as we like Tucson, this time of year, I sure miss WI.

Comment

Working...
                                X