• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hansen Horno

Thats amazing! Awsome job!!!

Comment

And here is my start on the outer arch. Not sure how I'll be completing it yet. I definitely think I'll need some kind of buttressing on the outside of the arch walls. I'm thinking of doubling-up the wall thickness by adding a stack of bricks, or perhaps a perpendicular stack of bricks. Or maybe just a steel "L" bracket of some sort. I'm open to suggestions!

The walls look really thin from this angle, but they're actually a full brick width where they butt up to the inner arch and they taper down a bit at the outside edge.
      Last edited by dbhansen; 08-17-2008, 09:07 PM.
      Picasa web album
      Oven-building thread

Comment

Thanks Todd! Here's an interior view I forgot to post earlier....
        Picasa web album
        Oven-building thread

Comment

That's an absolute beauty - it's going to be a crime to cover it up with insulation! Have you got any pictures of the keystone going in because it looks so damn perfect!
          Matt S, Cambs, UK
          42" Pompeii

Pizza oven pictures - WIP!

Pizza oven costs (so far!)

Comment

Originally posted by aureole View Post
            That's an absolute beauty - it's going to be a crime to cover it up with insulation! Have you got any pictures of the keystone going in because it looks so damn perfect!
            Thanks! It is a shame these things have to be covered. Alas, no pictures of the keystone, but it reminded me of this:

I just started with a small square of brick and slowly cut more and more off until it fit!
            Picasa web album
            Oven-building thread

Comment

Daren,

I agree! The dome looks incredible! Perfect symmetry. Looks like you've been doing this for years!
              Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
              My oven build thread

Comment

I was lucky that my failure to cut a proper final course gave me a great selection of brick odds and ends to use!
                Matt S, Cambs, UK
                42" Pompeii

Comment

Daren,

NICE WORK! It's a beauty.
                  Ken H. - Kentucky
                  42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                  Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys! Much appreciated. As I told my wife, I'm basically satisfied with the way it turned out, but I'm saving perfection for my NEXT oven (when I'm retired and have more time on my hands).

I just realized that I have a flower on my dome, thanks to the unfortunate aligning of two mortar joints forming the stem. They don't align on the inside, though, so maybe it won't be an issue.
                    Picasa web album
                    Oven-building thread

Comment

Question: Let's say I get my chimney done by next weekend (really pushing it). Would it be reasonable to answer "yes" to my son's request to have a birthday pizza party about 5 weeks later? I have no idea how long the curing process will take. Can I reasonably expect to be baking 6 weeks from now?

For the dome insulation, I plan to use a blanket insulation and loose vermiculite, so no curing there. I am thinking of coating the dome with my remaining bag of HeatStop, though, to add some thermal mass (maybe 1/2"). That would add some curing time.
                      Picasa web album
                      Oven-building thread

Comment

I think five weeks should be fine - to be honest, you could bake pizzas in a cured but uncovered oven. The heatstop wouldn't take long to cure - less than a week probably.

I've read that curing can be done as a continual process - rather than cycling the oven, put the door on to hold the heat and gradually raise it each day.
                        Matt S, Cambs, UK
                        42" Pompeii

Comment

Here are some pictures of the outer arch construction.
                          Picasa web album
                          Oven-building thread

Comment

And the completed outer arch with the first layer of bricks to support the chimney base.
                            Picasa web album
                            Oven-building thread

Comment

And the last of my brickwork!
                              Picasa web album
                              Oven-building thread

Comment

The chimney base is not attached yet. I think I'll use some insulation between it and the bricks, as others have recommended, and secure it with 4 tapcon screws. Then I'll probably spread my last bag of HeatStop onto the dome and let it all sit for a week.
                                Picasa web album
                                Oven-building thread

Comment

Working...
                                X