Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    If you are using the "home brew" that has been used by hundred of Forum members, quite often the "fire clay" is the hardest to procure. I recently requested one of the Canuck builders to post where he found his materials and he posted a list of where he got his materials.

Leave a comment:

• Shawnr
    replied
    Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Big Boy toy, wish I had a mini ex when I did mine, my excavator was a 10" spade........
    Nice lake view for a pizza oven. You are running out of construction season if you live in Ontario.
    Thanks, UtahBeehiver Yes. the season is late but I am optimistic I can at least get the dome done. Probably won't be cooking anything. I did just retire in January so have more time than in the past.

The digger was great for this job. It is something I built and has been used a ton since I did.

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Big Boy toy, wish I had a mini ex when I did mine, my excavator was a 10" spade........
    Nice lake view for a pizza oven. You are running out of construction season if you live in Ontario.

Leave a comment:

• Shawnr
    replied
    With regards to the IT tool, I found this. https://community.fornobravo.com/for...2-brick-setter

I thought IT was "Internal tangent"...lol

Leave a comment:

• Shawnr
    started a topic Northern Ontario oven build

Northern Ontario oven build

Hello all
    After doing an introduction thread, https://community.fornobravo.com/for...n-in-the-works, I thought I should do the build thread in this area.

I excavated for the base this weekend and will be starting the back filling of gravel and packing later today. It looks like the gravel will be about 16" deep, and then a 6" slab on top of that. Since at the cottage, internet is poor, I am trying to absorb as much info and guidance from other threads here, while in town. (Thank you for posting your trials and tribulations!)

I am wondering about forming the dome shape. The IT tool looks like the method of choice but I have not found much info on it ie actual use. I get the idea, I think but after you place a brick, how long do you have to wait to move to the next one? or at all? The "manual" talks of sand or foam molds, or free standing but not the id tool so I am guessing it came up here...? I need to go look some more. That is a ways away so right now focused on the base slab.

As others in Canada have reported, finding materials is not necessarily easy, especially where I live, (16 hours to Southern Ontario) but I did find some contacts so have reached out to see if they ship, etc. My dilemmas are getting the fibreboard and insulation but I think with some phone calls, I will find a supplier. Amazon is insane for pricing on it. I am considering the perlite concrete for insulation under the oven but from what I have read, I should have about a 6" insulating slab on top of my supporting hearth for the insulation to be efficient..? If I understand correctly. The fibreboard looks much more efficient and idiot proof.

That is all for now. Will report back later in the week when back in town.
    Last edited by Shawnr; 08-09-2021, 05:01 AM. Reason: Spelling
Working...
X