Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nikki's 42" in Phoenix, where it's hot as a...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frances
    replied
    Re: Nikki's 42" in Phoenix, where it's hot as a...

Its looking good Nikki!

...and there's nothing like telling other builders what to look out for

Seriously, I am totally in awe of you building an oven right now. I had trouble doing just about anything more than eating and sleeping when I was pregnant. Good for you!

Leave a comment:

• mstang1988
    replied

Originally posted by Modthyrth View Post
    Dome Day II: The Start of Mortaring

Things I have learned today:

--Being able to make nice cakes does not mean that I will have any innate ability to spread mortar well.

--A small flat spatula stolen from the kitchen is a very handy tool in building a wood fired oven.

--Boobs stick out and bonk into the dome and get especially messy. Wear shirts I really really care nothing about, and don't run out to Home Depot without expecting odd stares.

--This takes WAY longer than I would have guessed. I guessed, doubled the time in my mind, and was STILL way under.
    What do you plan to do with the extra bricks on the floor layer? What are the physical dimensions of your kitchen? I'm thinking about doing a very similar design but I'm worried at how large it will grow with the 42" oven, eek!

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

mondiferous conostihogans
    I'm going to have to google that one.

Awesome Nikki, thanks for the pic - you're a great sport! Keep us posted on the progress of your child - WAY more important than an oven...

Les...

Leave a comment:

• Modthyrth
    replied

Originally posted by egalecki View Post
    Sadly, I didn't either...
    Yeah, well I don't normally have these mondiferous conostihogans, either. Guess I'm not used to them. Think I can get this etsy seller to modify her shirt?

"I'm so crafty I make people AND wood fired ovens."

Leave a comment:

• Jed
    replied

Nikki,

It may be taking awhile, but it looks great! You will have the dome shape in just a couple days at the rate you are working now!

And then it is just a bit more work and you will be cooking...

Keep up the good work.

JED

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

Originally posted by mfiore View Post
    Funny, I didn't have that problem!
    Sadly, I didn't either... I expect you'll have more trouble with the belly soon, anyway! I had banged up knees, though. From squatting, standing on my hearth, and leaning over to do the brick as I got closer to closing in. But then, I didn't tidy up my joints as I went, either, I just used enough mortar to stick them where I wanted and I used a mortar bag to fill in when I was done. Would have been cool to use a star tip to pipe some rosettes, huh?

You've got a good start there- keep it up! It is a lot easier to put them on flat than when you're doing your soldier course, so it gets better from here. Take care of your back, though, and watch your balance!

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

--Boobs stick out and bonk into the dome and get especially messy.
    Funny, I didn't have that problem!

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

--Boobs stick out and bonk into the dome
    It's pretty much stated in every thread - we want pictures.
    You are right about raiding the kitchen for tools - I was wise enough to avoid the wrath of wife - I went to the dollar store and bought spoons, buckets, etc...

Les...

Leave a comment:

• Modthyrth
    replied

Dome Day II: The Start of Mortaring

Things I have learned today:

--Being able to make nice cakes does not mean that I will have any innate ability to spread mortar well.

--A small flat spatula stolen from the kitchen is a very handy tool in building a wood fired oven.

--Boobs stick out and bonk into the dome and get especially messy. Wear shirts I really really care nothing about, and don't run out to Home Depot without expecting odd stares.

--This takes WAY longer than I would have guessed. I guessed, doubled the time in my mind, and was STILL way under.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

It is incredibly frustrating having to rely on other people for a lot of things while I'm pregnant
    It just reaffirms the saying "Nothing will get done when you screw around"

Really , you guy's are off to a fantastic start - good luck and god speed. And congrats on the rug rat - good times!!

Les...

Leave a comment:

• Modthyrth
    replied

Hooray, we've started the dome! I finally feel like we're going to have an actual oven sometime soon. I haven't started mortaring anything yet; that fun will start tomorrow. The Harbor Freight wet saw works like a dream, and my husband concurs that those assembly directions are probably the worst he's ever encountered.

We've changed our mind about the enclosure, and are now going to frame it in and cover in the same stone. It meant we didn't have to be as precise about the floor and insulation cuts.

It is incredibly frustrating having to rely on other people for a lot of things while I'm pregnant, but Drew has really stepped up even though this is my pet project. I'm just delighted that I'm to a part of the project where the heaviest thing I have to lift is an 8 pound brick. I'm allowed to do that!

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Oh, don't you just hate that, when you're not allowed to lift anything and have to depend on others to get anything done?! I remember it all too well...

I'm really glad to hear you've finally got the hearth poured now, that must feel good! It looks very solid on those pics, so hopefully the cracks will be ok.

Leave a comment:

• Modthyrth
    replied

More progress at long last. After having six concrete companies (including small-volume ready-mix delivery companies) flake on me over the last three months, we finally just went and rented a mixer and did it ourselves.

I'm not allowed to lift anything over 20 pounds, so my role was mostly to be in charge of the hose. Two of our neighbors graciously helped out--the whole court is looking forward to me finishing the project. ;-)

As the concrete dried, two small cracks formed. I accidentally deleted the pictures I took, but I'll take more tomorrow. I really really hope they won't pose any problems, because I don't even want to think about how to pull down that slab.

Leave a comment:

• David Manchester
    replied

Yeah there's a breaking point in the rent mixer/delivery question. Thankfully I have a friend who has a mixer, but I have rented/used a redi-mix truck in the past. You'll get a better mix from the truck too. The Portland content in bag mixes always seems to come up short if you want it to look really nice. I always weigh out my mix of sand/stone and portland for finish concrete. Just make sure you have your ducks in a row before they show up..they charge by the hour

Leave a comment:

• Modthyrth
    replied

I haven't even been able to get them to schedule a date. So far, they say "maybe next week, maybe next week, definitely next week let's coordinate on Wednesday." And then they stop answering my calls and emails. I'm fed up and am ready to do whatever it takes to advance the project...short of mixing all that concrete by hand in the wheelbarrow. ;-) Renting a mixer would cost nearly as much as having the premix delivered, so that's our plan now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X