Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nikki's 42" in Phoenix, where it's hot as a...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nikki's 42" in Phoenix, where it's hot as a...

I just finished that part of my block stand. I can say that I found it to be a real pain to grind out the groove needed for the angle iron to be recessed. If you have an alternative that won't effect the integrity of the hearth, go for it!
    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
    My oven build thread

Comment

Originally posted by FastRay View Post
      Hey Nikki I live in Goodyear and am getting ready to work on my oven but have not wanted to work out in 112 degree weather with cement. If it starts going well for you I will use you as inspiration to get off my butt. Good luck!

Ray
      Hey Ray--

The heat is a large portion of why I wanted to have a pro pour the foundation. I gather that it's a lot easier to mess up in high heat. It's been pretty miserable hauling the materials around, but at least I'll have the oven ready to enjoy by the time we start having glorious weather in the fall!
      Nikki

Comment

Nikki, you can put a little sand or dry mortar mix on your blocks if you want to help the levelling.....not actually necessary as the rebar and concrete will give you full stabilization but it makes it feel good!.

I would also hose down the entire stand before doing your cores as it will help the concrete flow and cure, particularly where it's hot and dry.

Oh, I used three concrete landscaping bricks to make the arch in the Benjamia oven stand....worked fine!

jim
        Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

Hey Jim--

Great idea to wet down the stand before pouring. I had my big helper take care of that job:

I only had energy and time to fill four cores today. I have Masters Swim practice tonight, and I needed to save some of my strength for that.

Cutting the rebar was fun! I only wish someone had been around to take pictures of the sparks.

I've always felt able and accomplished, and have always had an instinct to make. I got my first real toolbox when I was 3, and grew up watching my parents undertake all manner of projects. But nothing I've done felt quite as meaningfully handy as cutting rebar. Not building furniture, carving a large dala horse, building a playhouse, building a harp (ok, I was only my dad's assistant on that one). I cut it. Metal. METAL. I love this project!
          Nikki

Comment

Originally posted by Modthyrth View Post

I cut it. Metal. METAL. I love this project!
            It is fun, but I'm looking forward to cutting pizza. You got a great start and your little helper is awesome! She is obviously doing good work. Enjoy it my friend - before you know it you will be posting pictures of a graduation. :-( :-)
            I went to school in Phoenix - I know full well of the heat. The upside is you will probably use very little wood in the summer, considering you can fry eggs on the street.

Good luck with the build.

Les...
            Last edited by Les; 07-09-2008, 09:31 PM.
            Check out my pictures here:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

More progress this weekend. Last weekend I was in San Francisco for my sister-in-law-to-be's bridal shower and a friend's 40th anniversary party (two parties, one weekend, now that's a trip I can justify!). I spent several hours yesterday and today filling the last of the cores in the stand and the elevated herb garden. Today I got to start the fun stuff--applying the stacked stone veneer to the garden bed! I've never been one for jigsaw puzzles, but this was very satisfying. I'll post pictures as soon as smugmug is up and running again.

I wore my heart rate monitor today as I was working, out of curiosity. I burned 1600 calories working today. Who needs the gym? I should just become a mason.
              Nikki

Comment

Here it is, my lovely herb-garden-to-be:

I'm going to have the guy who made the stone veneer make capstones for me so that the garden walls can be used as overflow seating when we're having a big pizza party.

PSA:
                In case anyone is in the market for concrete at the moment, Lowes has the 40lb bags of quickrete on clearance for $1.30 each.
                Nikki

Comment

Nikki,

Looks great! Is that how you plan to finish the oven?
                  Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                  My oven build thread

Comment

Originally posted by mfiore View Post
                    Nikki,

Looks great! Is that how you plan to finish the oven?
                    Yep, the stand, the wing with the prep surface, and the pony wall that will go behind the grill will all be faced in the same stone. I haven't figured out what to do with the curved seating wall and fire-pit. There's no way I can make this stuff work on a curve.
                    Nikki

Comment

omg...this really does look like fun. What was that you said "over do"?
                      Not for AZ. I loved the outdoor living during the winter I spent there. Because of the climate its really rather practical.
                      Berryst
                      sigpic

Comment

cool. An oppurtunity to add to my education.

What is a pony wall?

The stone veneer is looking great!!!

Chrsto
                        My oven progress -
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                        sigpic

Comment

The way I've heard the term "pony wall" used is to describe a low wall designed to divide a space, not a structural wall. So it might not be exactly appropriate to use the term in an outside context, but it fit the description otherwise, so I'm sticking with it.

Something like this:

Remodeling : Types / Materials : Pony Wall Room Divider : Home & Garden Television
                          Nikki

Comment

works for me and I like the concept of giving outdoor rooms a bit of structure.

I may have to work one into my patio plan - Right now it seems a bit huge....

Christo
                            My oven progress -
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                            sigpic

Comment

I'm back from nearly two weeks away at my brother-in-law's wedding. I made the cake, so we drove to San Francisco about a week ahead of time to give me enough time to work. The actual wedding cake turned out a bit wonky, but I managed to pull it together reasonably well. Let's just say that an enthusiastically helpful father-of-the-bride, lots of tequila, a center dowel, and a mallet don't mix all that well. But it was free and it tasted good, so they couldn't complain. ;-)

Groom's cake:

Wedding cake:

This evening I was able to get a little bit of progress made. I built wooden supports to go under the backerboard and cut the backerboard to size. I got a neighbor with metal-working skills to drill an extra hole in a steel brace that will span the gap and provide extra support. I'm ready to build the form and pour the hearth. I'm going to try to do that sometime this week, while DH is off at U. Illinois on business.

Nikki

Comment

Wow, what fantastic cakes! What was inside them, traditional fruit cake? And hey, do you make all those little flowers yourself, too? It all looks nearly too beautiful to eat.
                                "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Working...
                                X