Todd's Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Todd's Oven

This is the beginning of my 42" build in North Texas.

Re: Todd's Oven

Todd,

Looks like you are off to a great start, and about ready to build your dome. I like your work, it is clean and orderly.

How are you planning to finish the exterior?

JED

Comment

Thanks Jed,

I am going up to the top of the dome with 4" block walls and stone, then a peaked roof. The dome gets a 2" Aluminum silicate blanket then loose fill vermiculite to the roof

Comment

What a neat mix of bricks for the facade. I'm looking forward to watching the rest of the build.
        Nikki

Comment

subscribed
          Steve Kennemer
          Austin, TX

Comment

Thanks guys, I went with 6" of vermiculite/portland mix on top and I know the plans call for 3.5" .... is this ok?

I am thinking about incorporating a small flash boiler tank and an antique train whistle so when the oven reaches temperature the digital gauge closes the relay contacts and injects a shot of water in to the flash boiler giving the whistle a shot of steam... Pizza alert!! Bet my neighbours would love that...

Comment

Hahahah--love the whistle idea! That's much more fun than a temperature gauge.
              Nikki

Comment

Originally posted by toddj View Post
                Thanks guys, I went with 6" of vermiculite/portland mix on top and I know the plans call for 3.5" .... is this ok?
                More insulation is better. Sounds ok to me!

I am thinking about incorporating a small flash boiler tank and an antique train whistle so when the oven reaches temperature the digital gauge closes the relay contacts and injects a shot of water in to the flash boiler giving the whistle a shot of steam... Pizza alert!!
                Oh MAN, that will be TOO COOL!! If you do it, I would love to see the details and pics (even a video of it working!?)
                Ken H. - Kentucky
                42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

I concur - the whistle would be a unique and awesome idea! Would it have to rely on the ambient oven temp or could you link it to a thermocouple embedded in the floor, for example, so it whistles when the temps have equalized and it's truly ready for pizza?
                  Picasa web album
                  Oven-building thread

Comment

The transmitting thermocouples I am using feed 4-20ma signal to a digital temp display that can drive a relay at a set point. If I set the set temp to say 700f and have it drive a solonoid pushing a bimba cylinder with a check valve it can give a regulated shot of water into a flash chamber made of standard steel or stainless water pipe with a pipe thread end cap bottom and a reducer top. connect the reducer to a pressure line to the whistel and woo.. woo.. Il do a drawing later..

Comment

anyone used these doors before??

Cast iron products cast iron firebacks buy online.

Comment

Il do a drawing later..
                        Please, it would be interesting to see. I'm having a hard time seeing how the shot of water wouldn't be converted to steam by time you get to 800 plus degrees.

les...
                        Check out my pictures here:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Received my box of Kaowool 2" x 50sf at work today. I forgot to drive the truck so I un-boxed it, wrapped it in white plastic and duct tape and wedged it into the passenger side of my bmw z4 and... got stopped by a female state trooper on the way home... "Excuse me sir whats in your package?" guess it looked like I was smuggeling something.. drugs, dead hooker, oven insulation... who knows

Comment

"Excuse me sir what's in your package?"
                            Nice double entendre... I'm sure I would have come back with a response that got me in much more trouble than a speeding ticket.
                            Ken H. - Kentucky
                            42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                            Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

I was thinking the same thing - decided not to go there. Only in Texas

Les...
                              Check out my pictures here:
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X