I've finally started our oven in Costa Rica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I've finally started our oven in Costa Rica

I finished work on the landing and opening arch this weekend. I left an inch and a half reveal between the landing tunnel and inner arch. My vent is probably about 2/3rds or 3/4 of the width of the opening, and a half a brick in depth. I haven't acquired the stove pipes yet, so I'm not sure exactly how I'll tie them in. My wife wants stainless steel, but the quote I got from one supplier came to around $500 (10 feet of 8" round stainless to the roof, then 6 feet of galvanized steel above the roofline).

I hadn't really thought through what to do about the counter space to the sides of the oven when I started on the project. The solution was to lay firebrick tiles. I used them to finish the boarder of the oven landing, too. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I may continue the tiles on the corners of the stand if they end up showing through after I finish the insulation work. I think we're going to stucco the face of the stand.

Anyway, all for now!
    my work in progress:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/phot...dex.php?u=1031

Comment

Hi Carlos,
      Your oven is looking great!
      It's really satisfying to see the front finished off and looking neat isn't it?

Comment

very satisfying indeed. I'm sure the first pizza will be the best part, though!
        my work in progress:

Comment

Looks great, What is on your counter, stone or tile?

Mark

Comment

It is actually firebrick. They may look like tile in the photos because they are quite wet... I had just washed away the excess mortar and cleaned the front. Hence the shiny look.

The foundry where I buy my bricks has something like 23 different sizes, including these 3/4" 'tiles' and slightly thinner 1/2" ones (currently installed in my kitchen oven!). I liked te look of the bricks, and wanted to carry it over onto the counter space. Seemed like the best way to finish the borders of the oven landing.
            Last edited by carloswlkr; 02-09-2009, 03:32 PM.
            my work in progress:

Comment

Round or square chimney pipe? A contractor is coming tomorrow to take measurements and assemble my chimney pipe. We'll be installing stainless steel from the vent up to the ceiling of the ranchito (2 1/2 meters, or around 8 feet), and a good 2 meters (6 to 8 ft) of galvanized pipe from the roof line up. The cost is the same for 8" round, or 8" square. The volume of the square pipe is slightly more, but do the corners cause any significant amount of turbulence in a chimney of this size? If not, I think my wife wants to go with square to contrast the round igloo...

Thanks in advance.
              my work in progress:

Comment

I had my first fire last night. Lasted about an hour, and the top of the dome never got above 300F. Actually, I probably could have used a little more fuel, because I don't think it even reached 275 for any sustained period of time. But since the mantra is slow and steady, I'll leave it at that for now.

I like the way the oven draws, even thought I don't have the chimney attached yet. Most of the smoke quickly exited my vent area, and only occasionally when the wind picked up, would it come out the opening. I expect that the chimney will help it draw even better.

Any recommendations on how long I should try to sustain the 300 (and now 350) fires? The updated instructions just say 'as long as possible'. Is an hour enough? Or should I keep it going longer?
                my work in progress:

Comment

I really like your arched entry. It's nice to have tapered firebrick - that makes for a clean tight arch.
                  My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Many thanks. I agree, the tapered bricks leave a clean, tight arch. The decision to Use them was in part inspired by your build (obviously not geodesic, but the goal of using less mortar), so I appreciate the compliment. I think it had much more to do with the bricks than any beginner's skill/luck, but as I was building the dome itself, I didn't use any supports. Each course sustained the next. The arches, of course, were a different story!
                    my work in progress:

Comment

Looking good Carlos,
                      I had my first fire last night too, but kept it going for about 3 hours by feeding it bits of kindling. Temperature averaged about 300F over that time, so ready for a bit more tonight.

I think the consensus for curing fires is longer and slower is always better, so if you can keep it going at 350F tonight for as long as you can, it should be alright.

Comment

I love your oven. Really nice! Let us know how the curing is going.
                        G.
                        GJBingham
                        -----------------------------------
                        Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Thanks George. Curing is going well. I kept a fire going for about 2 hours last night, hovering around 350. It did flash up to 450 a couple of times when the flames got high, but I think all in all it was OK. I left a medium size piece of wood on the coals and closed the entrance with fire bricks before I went to bed. I haven't insulated yet, so last night, the outside of the dome started getting warm...

We're off to the beach this weekend, so I won't see the oven again until Sunday night. I can already feel separation anxiety setting in...
                          my work in progress:

Comment

any thoughts on square vs round chimney pipe?
                            my work in progress:

Comment

Originally posted by carloswlkr View Post
                              any thoughts on square vs round chimney pipe?
                              In my opinion it is entirely up to you...I don't think it will make much difference in the oven's performance...great job on the oven
                              Best
                              Dutch
                              "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                              "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Hi Carlos,
                                I'm a fan of the round chimney to suit the igloo shape, but it's entirely up to you.

Looks like we'll both be cooking our first pizzas very soon (maybe next weekend).

Comment

Working...
                                X