Golden Hammer Oven.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now is the time

If you are going to add thermocouples, this would be the time. I am talking with a company that makes temperatures monitors and thermocouples, and we will be offering a kit through the FB Store, we I don't think we are going to be ready for you. Besides, that wouldn't count as "found".

Luis made an excellent posting on his oven's thermocouple placement a short while back.
    James
    Last edited by james; 11-06-2006, 04:48 AM.
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Thermocouple

Brick,

Drill a 1/4" hole up through the bottom of your slab to within one inch of the hearth floor. Install thermocouple wire and keep it in place with furnace cement that you can get in a caulking gun tube.

Jim
      "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Awesome guys, thanks. After being on the phone all morning, I located some type j glass insulated thermocouple wire at a junk electronics store which caters to the film business. I'm going to try and hustle the guy out of some... Maybe I can barter for pizza futures. Since I have a two layered cooking surface, think I'm going to run the wire along the seam in my isol board, through the first layer of hearth tiles and inbed the ends of the wire in the middle of a cooking floor tile. Sound Kosher? I won't be picking up the wire till tomorrow, so any suggestions which don't involve me drilling through my hearth slab are much appreciated. (Not that your suggestion isn't appreciated Jim, I just don't want to drill through the slab if I don't absolutely have to..)

Comment

Got fifty feet of type k thermocouple wire today from a junkyard. In order for him to give it to me for free, I had to buy a bunch of assorted antique bakelight knobs for a friend who builds custom guitars. The wire was thrown in for free. It would only have cost me five bucks, but I've come this far without spending on the oven directly, so why not finish it out.

Comment

Wire

Brick,

The method you are going to use should work fine. I was thinking more along the lines of a traditional vermic/slab arrangement. Point is, you want the thermocouple close enough to the hearth surface that you get an accurate reading of the hearth temp.

Jim
            "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

One option would be to drill 1 1/2" (or so) into the floor tile to set one thermocouple, and a second right at the bottom of the floor. That way you can monitor heat movement into the floor. If you get a 4-way temperature monitor, you can do two on the dome and two on the floor.

Just a thought.
              James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

IMHO definitively you need a temperature measure of the hearth surface. It is (almost) essential to know the temperature of the place where the dough will rest and be baked.

The second (in importance) temperature could be the ambient one, which give you the ?all around? temperature when using residual heat (not coal or ashes in oven - bread baking)

The temperature in the dome will be interesting if you are going with a second one behind the bricks or cladding. The difference between this two dome temperatures gonna give you the temperature penetration or mass temperature concentration.

The couple of thermocouples could be in the hearth too (hearth surface and below the hearth bricks/mortar).

If you are going with a four temperature reader, you would like to use two of that to measure accumulated heat (in dome or hearth), one near of the hearth surface and one measuring the ambient of the oven.

Luis

Comment

thermocouple

Hey all. Thanks. I'm going to go with four thermocouples. The type k wire i got has one red and one yellow strand. Is this the right stuff? This picture is of a thermocouple i picked up yesterday when I got the wire. He has a big box of them, so i grabbed one to see if it's the right thing. It has one red and one blue wire. It doesn't say a type anywhere. Is is useful?

Comment

the right stuff?

Hey. Sorry to butt in here with another post, but I'm waiting on confirmation that I got the right thermocouple wire to keep moving. Please see previous post.

Comment

Redbricknic:

According to the ASTM norm, the tipe K thermocouple cable is composed by two wires, identified by the red and yellow colors.
                      Please, pay attention that the RED one is the NEGATIVE pole!
                      You will need to use the corresponding type K connector, this is the YELLOW one.
                      Any doubts, please consult www.omega.com
                      Picture following.

Luis

Comment

gauges.

Luis, thankyou.. I put the type k thermocouples in today. Any idea what the other thermocouple I posted a picture of is? Could I use the thermocouple assembly for the dome, using type k wire? Do you or anyone know what analog options there are for temperature gauges? I'm imagining some cool antique clockface gauges for the prep area. What pieces of machinery used gauges that read temps up to 1000?

Comment

Redbricknic:

The thermocouples have the type identified by the color of their wires.

As you could see in the picture in the last answer, the K type thermocouple is identified by red and yellow wires and the corresponding type to the red and blue wires is the T type.

All the thermocouples works same, being different types to different temperature curves.

The different thermocouple types do not match between them and you could not use an instrument to measure any type if it is made to work with another type.

Or, eventually, you could live doing math to correct the measure error, if you have not another option.

Please, consult www.omega.com . There is a lot of information there!

There are a lot of commercial analog gauges that you could use.

And even a little flour on the hearth is gonna show you your desired temperature target J

Luis

Comment

Working...
                          X