The Morgan's WFO build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Morgan's WFO build

We introduced ourselves in the introductions section...

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/new-forum-6658.html

We managed to pour the base slab this weekend. It's on undisturbed clay with about 1-1/2" gravel screeded flat. The concrete is heavily reinforced with double rows of rebar around the outer edges, a rebar matrix in the large center region, and a 2x3 mesh about 1" off the bottom throughtout the entire area. The slab is 4" thick, or 35 80# bags. We also inserted vertical rebar after screeding to reinforce the blocks which will be filled with concrete. The odd shape is due to the pedestal doubleling as a retaining wall.

It feels real good to have that done! In the next week while it's curing, we will have time to plot our next moves and get material on-site. We're pumped!

Ken & Dixie Morgan

Re: The Morgan's WFO build

If the digging was anything like my area in North Carolina, you are past the worst of it.

I'm really looking forward to watching your build!!!!

Christo
    My oven progress -
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
    sigpic

Comment

So far, the digging has been the worst!

We had a delivery of blocks this weekend and installed four of the five rows. The fourth row blocks are only filled half way with concrete in order to facilitate a beter bond with the fifth row. We waited to do the fifth row because of the extra time/work that will go into it. It will need to be notched for the bond-beam, front three spanning blocks notched to rest flush with angle iron supports, the bond-beam rebar, and we want to tie-in a cantilevered landing the entire length of the stand. This will require an angle iron frame, some rebar, and mesh al inter-woven prior to the pour. Then we will do the oven floor structural slab, and then the oven floor insulation slab.

After it has reached the above mentioned condition, I need to put a sealer on the sub-terrain portion of the blocks and devise some drainage. Then I can back-fill and call the pedestal done.

Sound like a good plan? If anyone see's any issues thus far, I would certainly love to hear your comments.

Kind Regards,
      The Morgan's

Comment

It's looking magnificent, and it certainly sounds like you've really thought things through! It looks like there's going to be a nice patio space in front of the oven, too. I'm looking forward to watching the progress.
        Nikki

Comment

Too funny Modthryth, we had just spent about 1/2 hour going through your build when we saw you had posted to our thread! Excellent, well executed project by the way... Bravo! We hope you are getting a lot of satisfaction from it. Congratulations too on the "new edition".

We haven't been able to do very much with our project the last few weeks, but this memorial weekend we did the bond-beam. We extruded the bond-beam upward 3.5" and included the landing in the same pour.

Here's the forms for the pour...

It was a pain in the arse to notch-out all those concrete blocks, and we destroyed about 4 of them in the process, but in the end it all came together pretty nicely. We layed two peices of rebar all along the bottoms of the notched concrete blocks and welded some some small vertical pieces with a small "T" at the top and then ran two more pieces of rebar on top of the "T"'s to re-enforce the extruded top 3.5 inches of concrete. It was a lot of work, but we had a lot of fun doing it on a lazy holiday.

We are still going to build a bench along the entire front of the structure. We will build the forms this week in the evenings, and hopefully pour both the hearth structural pad and the bench next weekend.

Here's a sort-of concept sketch of what we are trying to achieve with our pedestal...

This project is turning-out to be a very fun, exciting build. The best part is that all family members are excited about the end result, and so everyone is very involved in it. Very good fun.

I have to say, this forum is awesome. We have picked-up so many helpful hints, tricks, and good advise from reading about what others have already done. Love it!

Ken and Dixie Morgan

Comment

Hi Ken and Dixie!

You guys have a great start. Keep up the great work. You're going to love it when it's done!
            Ken H. - Kentucky
            42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
            Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

sweet... you guys are doing a wonderful job. keep up the good work...
              Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste
              like chicken...

My 44" oven in progress...

Comment

Great-looking design! I'm curious, what's the white curved "board" you used to form the concrete?

Daren
                Picasa web album
                Oven-building thread

Comment

Thanks you guys. The ovens on here are a true inspiration! It's funny how the insides of most ovens are nearly identical, but the outsides are a one-of-kind in every case. I can't get over how fun this project is and how everyone in the family gets equally excited about it.

That white board is just a piece of MDF board. We thought for sure it would snap when we bent it. It took two of us to bend it, and just when I thought "no way...", it plunked into place and held a nice, true arc - so we went with it...

*** QUESTION ***

I drilled holes in the blocks and suspended the rebar for the stuctural hearth slab. The bond-beam pour has these rebar locked in place now. Is it important that these "float"? Did we just set ourselves up for a problem? I'm hoping that if we have a substantial insulation layer that it won't be an issue, but I don't know. Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Ken Morgan

Comment

Ken, How far is the steel inserted into the block? It has a great shear strength but with loading, it can pull. Ideally, you would bend the steel 90 degrees into the block - been there, done that. I had a P.E. run my numbers and I came out "good enough". I'm not sure how this question relates to the insulation.

Les...
                    Check out my pictures here:
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Hi Les
                      It's in there pretty far. I had to pull the blocks back to get them in. They are about 1" from the other interior side, so about 5.5 inches into each block.

My concern is this; Since they are cast in concrete and rigid, will it be a problem now that expansion stresses will not be able to relieve themselves? In otherwords, if the slab needs to expand/contract, will the rigidly secured rebar mesh create a problem such as drooping or heaving-up the slab, or cracking?

Ken

Comment

That hasn't happened to my build. All the thermal issues are going on well above your hearth. I need to check my pic's but I think I ran my bar over to the other side - and it was just good enough. This build carries more weight then you can imagine. You might consider putting in a center post. If you want, I can find the formulas that people use to design bridges, etc... Back to thermal, at this point, it's not an issue.

Les...

Comment

Good stuff Les, thanks.

With the depth of pentetration of the rebar into the block and the amount of concrete cast around them, I'm sure the only force that could fail the rebar is sheer - and I feel confident that won't be an issue. My concern was of the thermal issue. Now that I have the ends of the rebar rigidly set, will the slab fail due to expansion and/or contraction stresses having nowhere to go? It sounds like if I use an ample amount of insulation layer between the hearth and the structural slab, that the slab will never see extreme temperatures.

Do you think it would be wise for me to use a form that leaves a small gap between the structural slab and the blocks? I was planning to pour right-up to the blocks, but perhaps a 1/2" gap would provided some protection?

Thanks again,

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by vintagemx0 View Post
                            Good stuff Les, thanks.

With the depth of pentetration of the rebar into the block and the amount of concrete cast around them, I'm sure the only force that could fail the rebar is sheer - and I feel confident that won't be an issue.
                            That was my thinking - the issue is pull. Think of of it this way. You support a 8x11 piece of paper from the edges, put a small weight right at the support - no problem. Move it to the center and the paper will drop.
                            My concern was of the thermal issue. Now that I have the ends of the rebar rigidly set, will the slab fail due to expansion and/or contraction stresses having nowhere to go?
                            I think not, we have all buried the steel inside of the concrete - that is kinda what makes all this work.
                            It sounds like if I use an ample amount of insulation layer between the hearth and the structural slab, that the slab will never see extreme temperatures.
                            Exactly!

Do you think it would be wise for me to use a form that leaves a small gap between the structural slab and the blocks? I was planning to pour right-up to the blocks, but perhaps a 1/2" gap would provided some protection?
                            No need. Again, all the thermal is going on up top. Your enemy is pull. The P.E. I had run my Calc's even added 300 pounds of active weight. I asked him what the hell was that about and he said if I had to climb up on top to work on something. Guess what - I was climbing on top with an arm load of brick to finish my chimney.

Keep the questions coming - we are here to help. This is a great project, enjoy your build!

Les...

Ken[/QUOTE]

Comment

Thank you Les.

I wish it had occurred to me to aske the question a few days ago...I could have very easily added the "hooks". I'm seriously considering a center pillar under the oven now. The small inconvenience of having the pillar in center of our large fuel storage area is nothing compared to the problems we could have if it pulled and drooped downward.

Thanks again, we'll definately keep the questions coming!

Ken

Comment

Working...
                              X