Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Morgan's WFO build

sorry morgans,, that is vintagemix's oven

Okay vintage I fixed your lights for you....

Mark

No problem king.. send me a pic

Comment

Hey, thanks Mark. That helps confirm that the lights look better centered on those blocks. Thanks! I'll get right on it.

Darius - You're quite right. These oven's are awesome tools that will take some time to obtain any level of mastery. We're looking forward to our journey learning how to use it and incorporate it into our everyday lives.

Ken Morgan

Comment

After stacking brick to the top, now I'm thinking the lights don't look so bad where they are. Really changed the perspective, plus the lights will serve their purpose better where they are. I'll power them up and see before they are comitted.

I filled the ficade with perlcrete and am now wondering the best way to seal the top. I am contemplating laying down some mesh and putting a 1 or 2 inch layer of concrete over it. It would then get some stucco to match the rest of the structure.

So, what do you guys think? Does this sound reasonable? Any concerns in doing so?

Thanks in advance,

The Morgans

Comment

hey ken,
          I think that sounds fine, just add the acrylic fortifier and you will shed water, and of course slope it slightly.... you wouldnt want a puddle up there,,,

Cheers
          Mark

Comment

Good tip on the acrylic fortifier Mark...thanks. We want to stucco (or use that other stuff) over the top of the concrete. We may just protect the concrete from rain and add an adhesion promoter to facilitate a bond with the final coating. Argggggh! So much to think about!...

'Morgans

Comment

if you go to QUIKRETE? - Cement and Concrete Products they have a ton of info there about all the products and proper use... I know more stuff to read and think about :-)

Comment

Mark- I was at a different area Home Depot and found another Quickrete mortar product that is a sort of "patch-all" type of stuff. It advertises itself as a a "one coat stucco" as well. It's like $13 per 55 lb. bag and is really tough stuff to mix, hardens very quickly, and is generally a pain, but it seems to stick good and hard.

This Saturday, all the news reports were that we were in for rain of biblical-proportions, and so we didn't do anything on Saturday. 'Turns-out the front just missed us by literally by a couple of miles and it would have been an optimal weather condition for applying stucco. Today (Sunday) we managed to get an entire coat on the oven. We plan on adding a second coat with acrylic fortifier and will ultimately paint the entire thing also. We are adding a light tan (buff) colorant to the stucco so if it gets chipped it will have a base color.

So, weather and daylight permitting, we hope to get the final coat on by the end of next weekend and then turn our attention to finishing the roof. I did cap the top with some concrete and will stucco over that (with the acrylic), but we have been beginning to ponder a simple gabeled structure now...

The Morgans

Comment

Hey Morgans,
                  That was one of the reasons i built the igloo as I couldnt make up my mind how to finish it.. now i have the option..

I mixed my SBC in a small Harbor freight mixer I bought.. It was much easier as it has all the fiberglass strands in it.. the stuf you got sounds good as you really dont need the structural strength...

good idea adding the base color in...

Cheers
                  Mark

Comment

It's been a little on the wetter side here lately, but we've managed to find time to work on the oven each day the rain has backed-off. We have all but finished the stucco. We put a thinner coat over the original coat and waited until it nearly set, then rubbed it in circular motions with wet rags. This exposed the sand and gravel in the mix and was the easiest way to get a good, fairly even texture throughout the structure. Here's a couple pics;

We added a "buff" colorant to the stucco mix as we went, but will paint over it. We added the color so if it were to get chipped, we wouldn't feel compelled to fix it right away since it won't contrast too bad. We added acrylic fortifer to the final coat too.

We attached the lights and a plaque we bought earler this summer to display over the front arch. We worried that it may be a bit too much, but we think it adds a little something without getting too gawdy. We're going to put some tile on the top and front edge of the landing, but that will be the extent of the bling. What do you guys think of the plaque?...

We repainted the light fixtures. We decided that all metal work in our patio will follow a satin black look.

Although the roof is sealed (concrete and stucco), we want to add a gabled-roof with a slight pitch, say 10 - 15 degrees. Then we need to deal with some details around the perimeter of the base and fabricate some door. Of course the chimney needs attention too, but we'll work on that concurrent with the roof.

Take care,

The Morgans
                    Last edited by vintagemx0; 10-25-2009, 04:39 PM. Reason: Added some stuff...

Comment

Morgan's,

Absolutely gorgeous. The small details really make the oven. Great job!
                      Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                      My oven build thread

Comment

I like the plaque, I don't think it's too over the top,

What is the significance of the fleur-de-lis ?

Does it have a special meaning for you, or to this project?
                        -------------------------------------------
                        My 2nd Build:
                        Is here

Comment

I like the plaque, I don't think it's too over the top,
                          I agree, the plaque is excellent... Not over the top at all, Rather I think a perfect finishing touch..

Cheers and Congrats
                          Mark

Comment

Looks fabulous! Nice job. I also like the plaque.
                            Picasa web album
                            Oven-building thread

Comment

Thanks for your opinions - now that we've been looking at it for a few days, we don't think it's too over-the-top now either. We were going for an Italian-inspired look, but now we are realizing how much work we have cut out for us next year to get the rest of the patio area looking the theme whilst trying to be true to our native environment.

Mitchamus - No, nothing deep like that...it was just there on the plaque we selected.

Ken

Comment

Looking really nice Ken! I think all your decisions have been made in good taste. And that goes for your pizza too I'm sure.

I googled the words on the plaque- The words on top: The Good Life, words on the left: Drink Well, words on right: Eat well. It all kind of makes sense to have those words on your oven!

Comment

Working...
                                X