Oven in North Yorkshire UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oven in North Yorkshire UK

The Oven is built on the side of a 'coach house' that is now my office around the back of my house. We just got the oven finished yesterday so here are the final pic's. The roof is made from sandstone and lead is formed to keep the rain off. Have been curing over the last few weeks and had it up to temp a few times. Had to take the top section of the chimney off as the last one exploded. Don't think it was rated for the heat. The chimney itself is fine as it has a stainless steel flu liner and vermiculite insulation. Had to replace the chimney though, as when the top section first cracked it cracked the pot below. Cooking this Sunday.
    Hope you like it.

Comment

I love it! It fits on to the house so well, really cool. Looks as if it had grown there.

And btw, your office looks about the same size as our house...
      "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Its not a very big office, 350 square ft max. The oven was great this week end but the chimney cannot take the heat and the top exploded again. I'll post some photos tomorrow. I'm now left with a bit of a problem, what can I use to complete the chimney?

Most Uk chimney pots are great, they sit way up high on very tall chimneys, so the heat that gets to them has been cooled . The heat from my blast furnace however is at 250-300 degrees C and they just can't take it. The top section just exploded into about 5 pieces that rained down on me, well a running me who started shifting the second I heard the bang.

The Pizza we cooked was absolutely brilliant, first garlic pizza was done in 50 secs, brilliant. It was cooking beautiful seafood clams and shrimp at 3 mins per pizza. All with crispy bases.

I can't wait to do more.

Cheers

Comment

beautiful!
          sorry to hear about the exploding chimney pot.... would a terracotta one be more durable?
          you could paint the outside with heat proof paint maybe...
          -------------------------------------------
          My 2nd Build:
          Is here

Comment

Those are some great pictures.
            Looking for chimney liners in Canada.

Comment

That is just beautiful! Everything looks like it went together so smoothly!(and quickly)
              cecelia

Comment

I think the modern repro chimney pots are made from the same refractory clay as the flue tiles. I love the old pots, though. Maybe you could take the chimney up a couple of more courses to get the flue gasses cooled off...
                My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Really excellent build! I love the way it fits into the existing structure.

You SHOULD try to get your chimney at least two feet above anything withing 10 feet of it, so I like dmun's idea of building it up a few courses. I don't know about the UK, but that is code in the US.

Again, it is a great looking oven, thanks for sharing!
                  Drake

PS, better get a metal hose reel! That plastic thing looks out of place with all that beautiful old stone!
                  My Oven Thread:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Beautiful oven,,, Have you considered painting the inside top of the chimney with some kind of ceramic kiln coating, Not sure, but it might help reflect some of the heat off of it... Good Luck and Enjoy,,
                    Mark

Comment

What a fantastic oven and so good to see another one being built in the UK. I am just about to start construction of the dome and am trying to decide whether to use angle iron to support the dome entrance and have a stand-alone vent dome or to have an arched entry like yours. Am I correct in assuming that your vent arch is built in firebrick?

Comment

Hi There,
                        I am in UK too and just been scared off putting a pot on top of my oven.
                        See this US site.
                        Chimney Pots from ChimneyPot.com-Home Page
                        It seems to suggests that the temp should not be a problem. Can you tell us more about the type of pot you used? Could it have been a repro maybe?

Comment

Mikey,
                          My chimney liner was pretty industrial strength, seemingly, but the heat did crack it. I think the pot in the photos appears to be a little higher up, and therefore may be a bit cooler up there. ( gasses having a chance to expande and even out in space)

Those pots may be designed to take the heat better since they are designed to extend above the chimney.

Lars.
                          This may not be my last wood oven...

Comment

Now after 2 exploding pots I think I may have got a fix for the problem. In the original design the flue liner stopped at the base of the pot, allowing supoer hot fumes to fill the pot as they escaped. I have extended the flue liner so that it now stops at the top of the pot (have to trim it back to fit neatly). I think I still need to add some vermiculite cement inbetween the gap of the liner and interior of the chimney as I have still managed to crack the last pot slightly with the heat. At least they don't 'explode' any more.
                            The oven has undergone some modifications last week as I was getting a lot of water delivered onto the stone hearth that then soaked into the floor of the dome. We have extended the stone roof forward of the front face of the chimney so that water now falls past the stone hearth. Should an oven be re-cure after a wet winter by the way? How are people running ovens through wet winters, my dome is cold but dry so is it OK to fire it up without a cure? The oven floor feels a bit wet towards the opening.
                            Many Thanks
                            Ill Post some new photos tomorrow.

Comment

threedi

I take my hat off to you Sir. What a nice looking oven and it really does, compliment the coach house.

I hope you find a solution to the chimney problem.

Terry (C.F)
                              Honi soit qui mal y pense

My 2nd Pompeii build.....

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...eii-build.html

Comment

I rate this as the best oven I have seen IMHO, excellent job.

A couple questions please?

1. Does the 6" diameter pipe give enough 'draw' to suck out the smoke?

2. What type of mortar did you use to build the dome?

Mick

Comment

Working...
                                X