Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Forno Montagna

Your dome looks GREAT inside and out,,, Nice work... j
    Several have told me to cut the flange metal that sticks out underneath the anchor plate
    I dont know why you would have to or need to.. Im sure someone can tell us if there is a real reason to.

but the double wall insulated chimney pipe is quite heavy and eventually I will need two 3' sections to go beyond the height of the pergola. I hope my construction is strong enough
    from the looks of your mortar joints and quality of your work so far, I think your okay,, I would like to see a picture from the front though..

Cheers
    Mark

Comment

Congrats on closing your dome! It looks awesome.

I know there is a post a couple years back on someone who bricked right to that dropped flange on the anchor plate and he got a crack right there when the metal expanded yet the heavier, thicker block hadn't warmed up yet. I guess you could leave a small gap however you want the smoothest flow possible for the smoke and the last thing you want is a lip just before the smoke exits. In my opinion, trimming it was easy and cutting my bricks holding the plate up at an angle to meet the vent hole made a nice, smooth transition.

Man, your oven is looking good! Can't wait to some fire. Cheers, Dino
      "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
      http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
      http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Needless to say, my beloved project is on standby for the Wisconsin winter season. I will spend the time planning final enclosure and recipes!

Comment

Dan,

very nice work! You should be very proud. Too bad to have to put the project on hold for the winter. I am waiting for a weekend without rain in So Calilfornia( usually not a problem but the last 3 weekends haven't cooperated) then back to work. I would put a halogen lamp in there and let it dry out until the thaw.
          Great workmanship

Enjoy
          Eric

Comment

Throw some plywood on top of the pergola, tarp the sides and only mortar on day above freezing (snowshoes might help). You’ll have pizza by spring! …it’s been a fun project to follow and looking forward to its completion.
            Cheers,

Comment

Throw some plywood on top of the pergola, tarp the sides
              and throw in a heater .,.... I agree.....

Comment

Looking good. This is like the end of a sports season. We have to wait until next year to see all of these winter builds get back underway.
                Album: http://picasaweb.google.com/fornososo/Pizza#

Comment

Thanks all! I have actually finished the brick and mortar work 2 weeks prior to freezing temperatures. I bought a chimney anchor plate and was planning on buying the blanket so I could sandwich some between anchor plate and then attache the screws.

I may want to add some more brick work to seal the plate in after that is done but I need to purchase the two 3ft pipes to check fit first. I want to have the height to exceed pergola height. That and the weather is why I stopped. I have a few questions.

Should I attach the plate and chimney sections before a perform the curing fires?

Will the blanket material between brick and anchor plate will be somewhat exposed inside the flue... is that OK?

Do I perform the curing fires without a blanket wrap (around oven)? I plan on putting an enclosure around this oven.

I assume it will be March before I start the curing fires. I have built a 2x4 frame, cover with plywood and wrapped in tarp for the winter. Some of you suggested a halogen light. I assume for some curing. Is it OK to just let it be for the winter like I have it?

Thank you!

Dan

Comment

Back in the game! Going with Dino's inverted "L" bricks to secure anchor plate. I am a little concerned that the two 3' sections of chimney will be too much weight. Any advice here. Can't wait to start the first of the curing fires next week. Plan to mortar the anchor today!

Comment

Yahoo! First two fires with paper, then a few pieces of wood. 100, 200-250, then 300. First crack showed after 300. Waiting for FB blankets to arrive this week before I go much further.

Dan

Comment

decided to start roughing in the enclosure yesterday. Wow, this stuff is easy to work with.

Also attached concept drawing.

Comment

Hi Dan,
                          Congrats on your first fires... Your whole build is looking great ..... Many members cure without the blankets, I didnt, but only for lack of knoweldge at the time.. If you have no blankets I think the moisture may escape more easily... But, I cured with 2 inches of hi temp insulation and another 3-4 inches of Vermicrete, and had no problems at all with the oven.. I think its just whatever option your more comfortable with.. Keep up the great work,, Cant wait to see the finished pics..
                          Cheers
                          Mark

Comment

Thanks Mark. I am trying not to get excited about the cracks as I have read many posts suggesting the normality of this. I would like some suggestions on when to put the blankets on and if I need to add a sealant (?) of some kind or just add more HeatStop before I add blankets.

Comment

Crack photo.

Comment

Hey there!

I've come upon your thread and I must say your's is a fascinating build. You are very precise with the bricks and your yard is simply beautiful. Perfect setting for the oven.

Does the crack continue through to the interior? If it's just the surface of the dome exterior then I'm thinking it's just a minor patch job with the mortar. Although, I'd hold out for an expert opinion on the matter.

Great build. Take care.

Raffy
                                Last edited by Raffy; 04-05-2010, 06:48 AM.
                                sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                                WFO Build Pics (Picasa)
                                Add me on Facebook (write FornoBravo in the message)

Comment

Working...
                                X