Another Aussie Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another Aussie Oven

Good luck with the hebel door panel Paul. I tried that too, although mine was only 1" it lasted afew times then cracked. Remember it is made from Portland cement. I think the manufacturers claims about the stuff are extremely optimistic. Hope yours lasts longer than mine.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

David,

So far my door has lasted about 10 firing cycles and is not showing any signs of damage apart from the the odd chip where it gets taken in & out of the oven. It was only ever meant to be temporary but as with many temp jobs they seem to be there a long time!

The plywood is stuck on the Hebel blocks with a high temp adhesive and screwed in place with chipboard screws.
      Paul

Deficio est nusquam tamen vicis ut satus iterum
      (Failure is nothing but the opportunity to start again)

Comment

Well done Paul

The finished oven looks great and love the colour of the dome.

Good to see that a simple Door construction has lasted 10 firings. Hopefully it will last for many more!!

Cheers
        John

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...-wfo-7911.html

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.

Comment

It has been almost 3 months since I last added any info or pics of the latest progress so I thought that I was about time I added an update.

The tiling around the base of the oven is now complete (although I still need to seal between the oven render & tiles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	92 Tiling Closeup.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	265.9 KB
ID:	282697
          Details of the tiling

The framework for the timber deck was completed out of treated pine. There isn't enough height to use a tradditional bearer/joist system for the framing so the joists are supported from concrete pads every 1,200mm. The framing wasn't made any easier by the shape of the corner where the oven is and the fences all around.

Name:	93 Deck Framing-1.JPG
Size:	280.8 KB
ID:	282698
          The decking joists completed

I was planning to finish the deck at the palm trees but the lady in charge thought that the deck would look better if it was cut around the trees. This added a bit a complication and took a while to complete (of course she was right and it will look better!)

Name:	94 Deck Framing .JPG
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	282699
          The fiddly bits around the trees

More to follow...
          Paul

Comment

.... continued from above....

I have also installed the wiring and transformer for the lighting. There will be a couple of 12V lights in the trees lighting up the oven and some up lighters in the gardens to highlight the plants.

Over the last couple of weekend we have stated to install the decking. The decking is hardwood Merbau with SS screw fixings. It has has taken a long time to cut to size because of all the angles.

Name:	95 Decking.JPG
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	282700
            Merbau Decking

After the border and the first few planks went down we got into quite a system where I would measure & cut, both Karen & I would get the first few fixings in place and make sure the board was straight and then Karen would drill and screw all the other fixings while I was measuring and cutting the next board.

Name:	96 Deck Builders.JPG
Size:	270.3 KB
ID:	282701
            The Decking Team

Meg, our Golden Labrador likes company and always wants to be nearby the action, often sitting right on top of the part of the decking that you are attempting to screw down!

Name:	97 Deck Builders & Dog.JPG
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	282702
            Meg soaking up the sun.
            At one stage yesterday she was lying beside the pool with her tail in the water wagging it. She kept spraying me with water until I moved her along.

Of course deck builders get hungry so the pizza oven was fired up and I cooked several pizza for lunch. The ones in these pics are chicken & caralamised onion which is topped with avacado & rocket and the second pizza is bacon, pumpkin, rosemary & black pepper.

Name:	98 More Pizza.JPG
Size:	261.2 KB
ID:	282703 Click image for larger version

Name:	99 More Pizza.JPG
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	282704

It will probably take another weekend to get the deck finished and then we will start on some planting around the deck and the lighting.

Paul
            Paul

Comment

Your deck and pizza looking great.
              Scott -

My projects: http://www.facebook.com/#!/scott.kerr.794

Comment

The deck is now complete and ready to be oiled. The last few pieces were a bit fiddly to get finished but it was worth the effort as it looks great now that it is complete.

Name:	102 The last Piece!.JPG
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	282732 Click image for larger version

Name:	103 Nearly Finished.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	282733
                The last pieces

The two fury helpers love sitting on the deck but generally it is right where you were trying to drive the next screw or on top of the tools!

Name:	101 All paws on deck.JPG
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	282731
                All Paws on Deck!

Last night was very pleasant sitting on the deck in front of the fire & relaxing with a well deserved beer.

Name:	104 Deck Complete.JPG
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	282734
                Finished

This week end it was a year to the day that we cleared the jungle from the corner to start. Here is the "before" shot to compare with what there is now.

Name:	01 Before.JPG
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	282735

Paul
                Paul

Comment

Now that the deck is finished it was a weekend of gardening around the pizza oven and some electrical work.

All of the ivy that had overtaken the fence was ripped out and my wife planted palms along the side fence and a bougainvillea behind the oven to grow over the rear fence where the ivy was.

I have also added some 9w LED spot lights mounted in the palm trees to light up the oven and deck and some 1W LED uplighters in the garden bed to highlight the new palms. It looks great at night now but I might add some more LED lighting to light up the wood storage area.

The other major work was to remove all of the beer bottles from the fence.

If anyone wants to know, it takes 46 beers to build a WFO!
                  Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Alter ego View Post
                    .... continued from above....
                    Of course deck builders get hungry so the pizza oven was fired up and I cooked several pizza for lunch. The ones in these pics are chicken & caralamised onion which is topped with avacado & rocket and the second pizza is bacon, pumpkin, rosemary & black pepper.
                    Now where did you come up with those pizzas? They sound great!

Comment

• Re: Another Aussie Oven

Originally posted by thamnophis View Post
                      Now where did you come up with those pizzas? They sound great!
                      Like a lot of my good ideas, these were ingredients that I had previously had on other peoples pizza and I stole the ideas.

I think that of all the pizzas I have made the chicken, caramelised onion, avocado & rocket in my family?s favourite.

Here is a link to the menu of a Newcastle WFO restaurant that is good for ideas. Blue Water Pizza Menu

Not only am I happy to steal other peoples ideas, I am also happy to share my own so attached is my own menu.
                      Attached Files
                      Paul

Comment

You drink waaaaaaaaaaaay too slow.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodneyf View Post
                          You drink waaaaaaaaaaaay too slow.
                          I now feel that I have let the Aussies down

I promise to try harder on the next WFO that I build
                          Paul

Comment

Here is what the WFO & deck looks like with the lights on at night.

Name:	105 Night Time Lights.JPG
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	282912

and a close up of the LED lights that we used.

Name:	106 Light Closeup.JPG
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	282913
                            Paul

Comment

If anyone wants to know, it takes 46 beers to build a WFO!
                              Are y'all on some kind of beer rations? Beautiful oven and lighting is superb. Congrats on job well done!
                              Scott -

My projects: http://www.facebook.com/#!/scott.kerr.794

Comment

Originally posted by Millstone Man View Post
                                Are y'all on some kind of beer rations?
                                No beer rations but if you have too many the bricks end up crooked!

The 46 beers are only those that were consumed at the end of a building day. I was good to have a cold beer while clearing up after a sucessful day's building, or if things didn't go well it was good to have several.
                                Paul

Comment

Working...
                                X