• metalmaster
    replied
    Re: 36" in Seattle

i dont think anything will break our entry arch

Leave a comment:

• kebwi
    replied

What you mean is, you wish you had broken your entry arch trying to do it.

Thanks.

Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• metalmaster
    replied

looks great, i wish we had cleaned our bricks up as nice as yours.

Leave a comment:

• kebwi
    replied

Key stone placed.

DOME IS DONE!

Just need to fix the entry arch and built the vent now.

Leave a comment:

• kebwi
    replied

Key stone halves.

Also, I finally broke my entry arch by smacking it with my head while entering the oven to clean off the mortar. Sigh. The mortar seems to chip off the exposed faces relatively easily so I think I can clean the joints and rejoin them without too much trouble...although I have already broken a second adjacent joint while attempting to chip-clean one of the initial breaks. Guess I was too rough with the screw driver. UGH! Slow and steady...slow and steady...

BTW, any thoughts on this are welcome. Should this not have happened or is a lateral hit such as I described (which is clearly not along the axis of support) with small faces of connection such as those shown in the photo a fair cop for a break without any associated wrong-doing?...or did I mix or otherwise use the mortar incorrectly?

Bear in mind, these are very old joints, thoroughly set. Weeks, literally.
    Last edited by kebwi; 12-28-2009, 09:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kebwi
    replied

Eighth course done.

Leave a comment:

• jmhepworth
    replied

Really well done.

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

Very nice.... I really like the shape of that dome.

Leave a comment:

• kebwi
    replied

Depends on how things go. Weather, family visiting, preparing for a trip. It might sit there with that stupid hole for a while. Ah me.

Leave a comment:

• lwalper
    replied

Now see, that's what I'm talking about — I don't have the patience to make all those beautiful cuts and make it all fit together so nice and neat. Beautiful!!bIt's 21?F here at the moment. No block laying today! Guess I'll go cut wood.

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

Keb...

Will you be putting in your keystone tonight ??

Looking forward to it

How's your weather holding up out there ?

Cheers
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• kebwi
    replied

Eight course is almost done. Seventh course was the first one I had to clean from the inside. Yeah, that was fun.

Leave a comment:

• kebwi
    replied

Thank you. I fully expect it to make food taste better.

(Otherwise, what's the point?)

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

Man, that's a clean build!

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

I understand and usually am the OCD type,, But Im not sure if thats different from anal retentive,,,, If you saw the pics of my garage you might agree...

besides OCD makes us happy... so go with it....

Cheers mark
    The term anal retentive (also anally retentive), commonly abbreviated to anal, is used conversationally to describe a person with such attention to detail that the obsession becomes an annoyance to others, and can be carried out to the detriment of the anal-retentive person. The term derives from Freudian psychoanalysis.
    OCD is the fourth most common mental disorder and is diagnosed nearly as often as asthma and diabetes mellitus.[1] In the United States, one in 50 adults has OCD.[2] The phrase "obsessive?compulsive" has become part of the English lexicon, and is often used in an informal or caricatured manner to describe someone who is meticulous, perfectionistic, absorbed in a cause, or otherwise fixated on something or someone.[3] Although these signs may be present in OCD, a person who exhibits them does not necessarily have OCD, and may instead have obsessive?compulsive personality
    so whatcha think keb, which are we.... they are both very similar.. (please take this with a grain of salt as it IS intended as humor)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X