X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kebwi
    replied
    Re: It is begun

Well, maybe on some timeline, but your oven went up from foundation to complete in about four months I believe.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Yeah, I am on month 6 too, it is hard to get a few hours strung together with 2 kids in sports, work, etc.

Leave a comment:

• kebwi
    replied

Hmmm, I'm on month six at the moment, looking at several more weeks (well, weekends, and partial weekends at that due to weather). Given a week of vacation and good weather I could seriously knock a lot of this out. Ah me.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

I built the arch itself in 4 hours. Given 4 whole days in a row, I could do the whole thing complete.

Leave a comment:

• kebwi
    replied

Wow, looking through your brokebrick site, it is now clear that you built the actual brick dome in four days. Props dude.

Leave a comment:

• kebwi
    replied

So jealous of your state of completion. Nicely done. I love your style. The curvy bricks and inset round stones are cool.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Here is the almost completed oven, just need a little caulk, some paint and a final washdown, then on to the countertops and pergola.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

And it is still over 120 on Tuesday at 6AM (45 ambient), 58 hours after the fire is out!

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Cooked pizzas on Saturday, heat profile:

Saturday:
    5-6PM held in 350-400 range
    6-8PM brought up to 900+ on walls and ceiling (ambient 80)
    8-9PM cooked 8 pies
    9:30PM bricked the inner opening
    Sunday:
    8AM 350 cooked biscuits (ambient 45)
    6PM 250 threw in sausage to dry
    Monday:
    12PM 180
    8PM 140 Sausage out (ambient 70)

Looks good so far, I am using oak which is a little wet still. as it ages, I expect to be able to hit higher temps.

I banked the fire to the back this time. It did not brown up the crusts as well but I could put 4 pizzas in if I needed production instead of the 2 or three with the fire banked on the side.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

It is still 180 degrees (110 above ambient) 48 hours later, so that isn't too bad.

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

Could you use hardware cloth, chicken wire or fiberglass mat to strengthen it from the outside? Perhaps the next one you cast, you can embed something strong inside?

I am going to have to build a door and have been considering a "sandwich" with metal on the outside for wear and perlcrete in the middle for insulation.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

It is too soft. I am still going to coat it with thinset to see if it will work though.

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

How did this door attempt fail? Got pics? Did it just crumble?
    Roger

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

I hope that it is still just burning out moisture.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Where do you think you are losing your heat? I was under the impression that a vault style oven had better retention then the Pompeii's. Did you have the door open for a while before it was closed?

Les...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X