It is begun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: It is begun

It isn't THAT warm today, low 40's and windy and cloudy, plus 100% humidity and serious juniper pollen. I did the layout for all four arches today. The wood storage and outside oven arch will be (ID) 16-3/4"W X 11"H. The inner oven arch will be 14"W X 15"H (63% of the 22" oven height). It looks like the chimney will be 8"x 12" (flue ID) X about 5' tall over the level of the oven floor.

I hope to lay most of the brick for the counter and the wood storage arch this weekend, weather and kid activities permitting.

Comment

Juniper pollen... Gosh, does it make a mess?
      Our pines make a huge mess in the late Spring here. Sticky yellow dust all over everything.
      I would love to feel low 40 temps right now, maybe it's time to book a vacation to somewhere, anywhere warmer than here.
      I hope that you post some pictures soon so we can see the progress! It sounds great!
      Have fun & play safe.

Comment

Nice job so far! I can't wait to see how it turns out!
        -------------------------------------------
        My 2nd Build:
        Is here

Comment

I was able to get some more done today. Tomorrow I hope to get the wood storage arch and the top courses of black brick done.

Comment

Brick work is very creative and impressive. Looking forward to seeing the arch.
            Scott -

My projects: http://www.facebook.com/#!/scott.kerr.794

Comment

I finished the wood box, but these Endicott brick are tough to arch. They are like laying glass block, and my form was not good enough, so I laid it square.

Comment

I know your frustration, I replaced an old bathroom window with glass block - I think it took about 3 tries before I finally got it right.
                A square wood box will be just fine, it should allow for more wood storage.
                I am having a heck of a time locating fire brick in our area and am waiting to hear back from an FB supplier in Minnesota (about 3-4 hours drive from here) on a price for a pre built FB oven.

Comment

The weather was nice today, but I only had a couple hours to burn. I finished one side and got some cuts done for the other. I can begin the oven slab now, at least.

Comment

Its looking good. That will fit right in there in Austin. Thats a cool town.
                    http://cookinginmyyard.com

Comment

Very cozy. I like that droop.
                      George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Finished the rest of the countertop base today. Hopefully I can wash it tomorrow. Then I am done for a couple of weeks. Next up is to pour the oven base!

Comment

It looks just Awesome! I love it.

Comment

Thank you. My wife was dubious, but she likes it now that it is done. My mason friends, on the other hand, just scratch their head, as does my Dad, a retired GC and civil engineer. I washed it today, and am ready to start the oven next weekend after the holidays.

Comment

Of course they have mixed feelings. a civil engineer and masons cannot look at anything that is not straight, level, and plumb.

I had a mason build my basement at a house I built a number of years ago. Concrete block, 10 feet tall. There was one stretch that ran 85 feet. he never used a level, and only used a string for the first course. oh yeah, he never did anything without a beer in his hand. All the empties were placed inside the hollows of the blocks. he said it was" insulation". Well if that was true it was the best insulated wall you have ever seen. And to my utter amazement it went up very fast and is absolutely perfectly straight. he may have stumbled walking to his truck, but that wall was perfect!
                              http://cookinginmyyard.com

Comment

I cut and placed 4ea 30"x30" by 2" thick pads as a base, then put 3-1/2" of 10-1 perlcrete over it. Firebrick next!

Comment

Working...
                                X