It is begun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: It is begun

Mainly I re-did it because I forgot that I had laid out the oven to HAVE the offset, plus the seal was not good enough without being keyed in. With the offset, the outer and inner arch line up with each other and with the woodbox below.

Comment

It has been brought to my attention by a friend that is assisting me that not a single photo indicates a frosty beverage in use, so just to set the record straight the rear (sealed off) compartment (3'x2'x3') of the stand is completely full of empty beer cans. Further, cost calculations do NOT include beverages, which would probably double my current total.

Comment

T, Two questions. One, By friend do you mean guy at local store where your purchase this beer? Two, Do empty beer cans have an R value ? Hold on wait lets make it three questions! Three, did you really intend to do an offset or did you come out the next morning and make that decision? OK and one comment, Everything is bigger in texas even pile of empty cans.
        John

Comment

Well the plan is very fluid, but the plan at the time I laid the floor was for the offset.

Sure beer cans have a R-value....

Comment

t,
            how wide is your opening ? hard to tell from the pics

cheers
            mark

Comment

16-1/4 inches.

Comment

Finally some good weather, it has been raining and cold. You would think it was winter in Portland or something.

Finished off the inner arch and repaired the corner I broke off the countertop early.

Comment

We then worked on the outer arch and oven face. (It is not washed, still all smeared up)

Comment

Here are some pictures to explain how the smoke chamber will work. The 8x8 flue liner will be at the top with a brick wrap.

Comment

Great job done on the arches - particularly like the keystone!

Most people don't bother to cut the thin pieces of the pie and prefer to simply add additional mortar on the curved sections. The additional effort in doing this creates an excellent look - like everything is one.

Is there a particular design on the keystone - can't make it out in the pic.
                      / Rossco

Comment

I didn't cut pies on the outer arch, those black Endicott brick are hard as glass.

Comment

The upper part of the keystone is just a rock I dug up in the yard during another project. It is red chert.

Comment

Very nice. Love the arch and keystone.
                            Scott -

My projects: http://www.facebook.com/#!/scott.kerr.794

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                              It is red chert.
                              I had to google that, very cool. The fact that you used it above your keystone - extremely cool!

Les...
                              Last edited by Les; 02-06-2010, 07:24 PM.
                              Check out my pictures here:
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                                I didn't cut pies on the outer arch, those black Endicott brick are hard as glass.
                                I was referring to the inner red brickwork - it looks like there are pies cut there... but the pic is small so it's difficult to see for sure.
                                / Rossco

Comment

Working...
                                X