It is begun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: It is begun

Great looking brick work. I love the entry.
    Scott -

My projects: http://www.facebook.com/#!/scott.kerr.794

Comment

Was able to get the chimney cap placed.

And get the house done to scratchcoat.

As well as sort and stack or burn the wood from 4 of 7 big trees that I had dropped on Monday.

I tired.

Comment

OK - I've googled your symbol's 10 way's to Sunday. I can't break your code. Maybe it's because Austin is closer to Roswell then Carson City?

Les...
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I decided to get at it early before it rains. I only had 4 4-CuFt bags of perlite and it filled the house about halfway. I left it mounded over the oven so I could burn today.

Then I finished off the stucco.

And lit the fire!

I am burning through the small limbs of those trees I have, so I figure I will burn this fire all day and keep it around 5-700 degrees until I am ready to cook.

I'm tired already.

Comment

I knocked out 9 pizzas, 2 of which were calzones, 1 was ashed and the rest were good. The oven was running 950+ on the roof and from 850 to 700 down the walls and back with the floor at 500+. It didn't hold very long though, maybe an hour. I blocked the entrance with AAC rubble, see what it is in the morning.

Comment

Not bad, it is at 340 degrees, walls and floor, and that is without a proper door.

Comment

And 11 hours later still at 220 degrees. Can't wait to get it fully insulated and dried out.

Comment

A full 48 hours after the fire died, with no door, it is still 120 degrees, 40-50 above ambient. Very surprising to me.

Comment

Yeah, I had a similar experience this week. 48 hours and 220 interior air temperature (door thermometer). That's without the last layer of insulation, although I did leave a fat bed of coals in the whole time.

We done good.

Congrats!

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
                    Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

Inner Door

Here is the form for the inner door "core".

For the inner part of the core, I used 1-4 homebrew to perlite. This is 2-1/4" thick.

For the outer part of the core, I did 1-1 homebrew to perlite, 3/4" thick. I used tuckpointing trowels for the handles, my confidence level is not high on them. Start to finish 1 hour of work, several weeks of thinking about it.

After it sets and I trim it to fit, it will be cut in half. I will then coat it with a thin layer of modified thinset for a skin.
                      Last edited by Tscarborough; 03-12-2010, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Good luck. My experiments using similar materials didn't last. It cracked and fell apart. But mine was way thinner than yours-only 1" thick panel screwed into a timber door. Every time I made a panel that was insulating enough it was too weak and every time I made it strong enough it did not insulate well. The traditional method was to soak a timber door in water, although this also has its drawbacks. A steel door, being a good conductor will do a good job of sucking heat out of the oven, is unsafe to handle (ouch that's hot) although it won't burn.
                        I think the door is the WFO Achilles heel.
                        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

You are probably right, that is why I didn't waste a lot of time on this one.

Comment

The door was a FAIL. Plan B is AAC carved.

I did cook some pies last night, made 8 doughs, cooked six pizzas along with the spinach cannoli friends brought. Only one rolled into a calzone, too much sauce, too much time on the plate, and too many ingredients, now the good Doctor knows.

My bricklayer, AKA Dr. Feelgood:

With a dubious but loud bunch of groupies,

We worked our way through several pies.

We made a traditional Margahrita, and then used various combinations of pepperoni, red onion, baby portabellos, tomatos, garlic, and jalapenos. For cheese, I had some fresh Moz, and some fresh Oxaca. I preferred the Oxaca, esp. when I added a little parmesan .

The heat profile was 6pm 300, 7pm 8-900, end of cooking 6-800. This morning at 9am it was 4-500, and 5pm this afternoon it is 220ish.

Comment

My door failed, so I just bricked it up.

I baked biscuits in it this morning, and I must say they are the first biscuits I have ever made where the bottom was the same color as the top.

Got the metal roof on today, though not detailed down. Please pray for no more than light rain before next weekend in Central Texas.

Comment

Where do you think you are losing your heat? I was under the impression that a vault style oven had better retention then the Pompeii's. Did you have the door open for a while before it was closed?

Les...
                                Check out my pictures here:
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X