It is begun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: It is begun

Mine cracked when I dropped it. The only failure was of the thinset used to hold it together. I do not think that high temp is a requirement curing of castable refractory, it is a chemical reaction like any other cementious material.

Comment

Check out ANH Refractories for more refractory stuff. search for your locality. There are a few in Texas.
      Tom,
      I have a beekeeping business and would like to send you some honey for answering all of my repetitive questions. If you are comfortable with that give me your address in a private message or send it to my email, derkp (at)comcast.net

Derk

Comment

Castable refractory does not need temperature to make it set hard because it contains calcium aluminate cement. If it only contains clay it can be made hard if fired above 573C Castable refractory is best bought premixed (powdered) from a refractory supplier, but it is expensive.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Nothing like cutting out a chunk of wall right in the middle of your counter. I decided to put in a charcoal grille, I got a nice cast iron slide in unit. I don't have a saw big enough but I have a friend who does. Too bad for my neighbors and daughter (her bedroom is the closest) that he could only break loose at 8:00AM this morning.

Tomorrow I hope to get the grill set, but for tonight, the fire is started, the dough is proofing, and the sauce is just coming to a simmer on the stove.

Comment

Your neighbors and daughter should be up by 8 on a sat morning anyway, too many projects, not enough time.

Is your sauce recipe posted on the forum somewhere?
            Still waiting for your address to send honey to.
            Derk

Comment

Got it dry fitted. I think I will go ahead and build a chimney at the rear. They recommend it for even burning, plus it will get the smoke away.

I smelled the bread cooking the whole time. Time for lunch!

Comment

Did you obtain the bbq/oven from a retailer or is it an antique?

Open the doors and take a picture for us.

You have set the outdoor wood/charcoal oven standards pretty high.

I am still waiting for cement pouring weather.

I took your advice on the flue area and it looks like I am pretty close to having a good design.

Comment

It is brand new, I work for a masonry supply house. I have sold quite a few of these over the years but never really seen one in person until a month or so when a customer bought one and I saw it before he picked it up. I decided to get myself one on our next order.

The oven is still at 400 degrees, and I hate to waste heat so....

Red and yellow onions, garlic, potatoes, bell and poblano peppers (and a couple of whole serranos) tossed with olive oil, celery salt and cracked black pepper.

I put the roast on the grill long enough to sear it and bedded it in the vegetables.

In the oven, see you in about 3 hours!

Comment

The 'lil woman made lima beans and mashed potatoes to go with it.

Of course it had to be "field tested"....

Comment

I was able to cast the plug for door #3. I used a fiber-reinforced insulating repair mortar. I cast a 6x8x1 piece first, then sawed it into 3/4x 1/2, 3/4, 1. I finger tested them for flexural strength and decided that I had to cast the door at least 2".

Lots of carving to do, but I will let it sit for another day before I do anything.

Comment

Tom,

I hope the 3rd time is the charm. You have inspired me again, to consider my insulated door. Have you heard of any material that would bind together insulating firebrick? The really lightweight kind? My mother is getting rid of an old ceramic kiln and is has bunches of this lightweight brick.

I was thinking of either trying to assemble a door or if I was not able to find a suitable "cementing" material to make a hollow door and fill it with these bricks.

What do you think?

I dry stacked the blocks a day ago and cut rebar for lentil support and floor support yesterday. I am trying to assemble my oven on a budget similar to yours, but somethings just have to be bought and the budget is approaching $0.00 again.

Derk

Comment

One thing I now know is that a polymer modified thinset will not work. The insulating firebrick are about as soft and brittle as the AAC, so it could be tough to use them unless you just stack them like I did before I made a door.

Comment

I think that I will try to make a hollow door on my first attempt and fill it with as many whole insulating brick as I can and cut others to fit. That is a long way off but it does not hurt to think ahead.

How did the honey wheat and honey turn out?
                            Derk

Comment

A party and Mother's day got in the way of bread. I did make pizza this afternoon, 2-1/2 hours from match to wood to pizza to mouth, pictures to follow.

Comment

2-1/2 hour Pizza

Comment

Working...
                                X