Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Storing heat: damper vs. door placed past the chimney?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storing heat: damper vs. door placed past the chimney?

Hello,
    Since I want the oven dome to store heat as long as possible for multiple bread batches, I want to reduce the heat lost up the chimney after the fire is out. One way would be to design the oven so the door can be pushed into the entryway so that it is between the chimney opening and the dome interior. However, the design would be a bit more complicated, especially if one wanted the door to be able to be pushed up against a lip of some kind rather than just fit in the arched opening. Another way would be to have the chimney opening between the door and dome interior, that is, the door is up against the outside entryway and have a damper in the chimney that could be closed.

Does anybody know if there would be a big difference with the ability of the oven to store heat longer between these two? If the closed damper works fine, then I'll just do that and have an entryway door instead of having a door that I'm pushing eight or so inches into the archway to cut off the chimney. My guess though is the latter would be measurably better since heat transferring into the damper closed chimney will transfer through the thin chimney wall a lot easier than through a thick door placed past the chimney.

Thanks & Regards,

Lance

Re: Storing heat: damper vs. door placed past the chimney?

Your entry area will be much colder than the dome of the oven proper, and dampers are designed to cut off only about 80 per cent of the flue, to prevent carbon monoxide problems. Therefore, an oven with only an exterior door closing off a not very hot landing area, and a flue with a leaky damper, will hold heat much less well than an oven with a properly designed interior door.

We only suggest dampers for ovens in interior installations where you want to keep the heat in the house. In this case, there are better dampers which are made for use with masonry heaters.

My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

"between the chimney opening and the dome interior"

This is generally where it is placed. An option to having a jamb (reveal) is to design that part of the opening with a bevel on the side. A matching bevel on the door will provide a nice tight closure.

Comment

Hello,
        Thanks for the replies and the useful information. I will definitely go with the door and build the entrance way to suit it.

Regards,

Lance

Comment

Working...
        X