X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mobile oven hearth structure

Hi all,
    i have just attached a steel frame to my trailer,
    the top of the frame will support the oven,below that will be an area for wood storage.I have decided to do a 75mm\3 inch thick fire hearth made from a aluminate cement hearth recipe,below that will be a 100mm\4 inch perlite cement insulation 10 to 1 brew.
    so what do I put on this frame to support the above,I dont want to add more weight by adding another layer of concrete as a base,so was thinking of using 20 mm treated plywood.
    so there will be a total off 175mm\7 inches of fire hearth and insulation layer,enough to keep the heat away from the wood i,m hoping.
    another puzzle for me
    do i place the fire dome directly onto the perlite base then trowel in the fire hearth inside the dome(leaving a gap around the edge) .
    i know the perlite will be brittle so cant see how this would work,so would i have to do 2 layers of fire base,one to support dome and second to go inside dome....pheeew! would be great to get this sorted as i have to do it tomorrow, cheers all

Re: mobile oven hearth structure

Post a few photos of the trailer so we can get a better idea of your set up.

Question. Why plywood for the base?

What about a piece of sheet metal that is supported by angle. No chance of burning.

For a trailer I think I would want a permanent ring around the perlite to keep it contained.

Chip
    Chip

Comment

hi Chip,
      my trailer was homebuilt by an engineer for heavy use,so it has car suspension and a 1 mm thick steel floor,it doesnt shake or jump at all,really smooth when on road,so I thought the ply would be ok because trailer wont bounce around and is more rigid than the sheet of metal i could buy(and cheaper lighter).
      yep im going to sort out a ring to keep perlite supported today,
      have been taking shots of my progress but having trouble with camera transfering images to comp.
      thanks for good advice,metal base is the obvious thing really
      cheers

Comment

Use metal decking. It should be fairly readily available(might find a suitable piece as scrap from a commercial building site) and is a much better option then plywood. You had the trailer done right, don't cut corners here.

Comment

thanks shuboyje
          I agree and ended up getting sheet metal yesterday, went through 6 discs cutting it to shape which was fun.oven has a 90 mm wide internal oven width so its a big one for a trailer or is it ,i'm not sure.
          because internal dome is 40 mm high is there room for me to put in a hearth which sits up above the dome base edge,if i do then if so i have a 90mm wide oven with a 35 mm high ceiling
          is this to low,am really concerned about it
          cheers k

Comment

Originally posted by kirshner View Post
            thanks shuboyje
            I agree and ended up getting sheet metal yesterday, went through 6 discs cutting it to shape which was fun.oven has a 90 mm wide internal oven width so its a big one for a trailer or is it ,i'm not sure.
            because internal dome is 40 mm high is there room for me to put in a hearth which sits up above the dome base edge,if i do then if so i have a 90mm wide oven with a 35 mm high ceiling
            cheers k
            If you are talking in millimetres that is one small oven bro....
            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by kirshner View Post
              thanks shuboyje
              cheers k
              If you mean cm it is not overly large most of the trailer ovens here in my area are 1 meter.

I agree with Al a 90mm oven with a 35mm ceiling height will be difficult to get to pizza temps and does not require a trailer with a car suspension.

Chip

Chip
              Chip

Comment

sorry i missed the extra zeros,
                its 900 mm wide inside oven with a 400mm high ceiling but if I raise the floor it will be 350mm high inside which i,m worried about

Comment

35cm is about 13 3/4", no problem there, it's a nice height for a low dome oven.

Comment

Working...
                  X