• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wotavidone
    replied
    Re: Premixed Motar???

Originally posted by Campmaki View Post
    The correct amount of sodium silicate is actually very small. For every 50#s of fire clay, you use a quarter cup.
    Wow, that is a very small amount if you are making 3:1:1:1 home brew in small batches.

Leave a comment:

• NCMan
    replied

I was at my local brickyard the other day and just for the fun of it, I asked the gal if they carried Heat Stop and if so, how much? She said "$110.00 for 50 lbs". Then said "we don't sell much of it, so it'd need to be ordered". We both clearly saw why they "don't sell much of it". I think I'll be going the home brew route, also.

Leave a comment:

• Campmaki
    replied

The correct amount of sodium silicate is actually very small. For every 50#s of fire clay, you use a quarter cup.

Leave a comment:

• wotavidone
    replied

Originally posted by Campmaki View Post
    Bob, I have gone round and round with the same question. I have decided to also go the home brew method, like many others. If you have not found fire clay contact Continental Clay in Minnesota. The person I spoke with knew exactly what I was looking for and asked if it was an oven based on Forno Bravos plans. He was very helpful. Their number is 800 432 2529. Four 50# bags of Hawthorn 35 mesh clay and a 1 pint bottle of sodium silicate additive cost me around 100 bucks with shipping to Wisconsin. The sodium silicate makes the homebrew exactly the same as premixed refractory mortar. It gives it extended life to work with and thru the curing process makes it rock hard. Hope this helps you, and as always GO PACK GO!!!!!! wAYNE
    Wayne, I've always thought the sodium silicate would be very useful.
    Can you tell us what rate you put it in the mix at please?

Leave a comment:

• rminkema
    replied

Thanks for all the great suggestion, Home Brew it is!!

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Bob, I've been on this forum for a few years and I have seen a lot of complaints about the wet mortar. Just run with the home brew, it will save you money and it does work. I am at 5 or 6 years with zero issues.

Leave a comment:

• Campmaki
    replied

Originally posted by rminkema View Post
    I am building a 36" oven. I have located a local source for firebrick and many of the supplies. They suggested "SD Fireclay AirSet Mortar, Wet, in 55# pails" if the oven is not outside. My oven is enclosed in a pool kitchen. The other option presented was "Flue-Set Mortar 50# bag, dry, chemical set 2200 F". I need the advise of the wise.

Thanks,

Bob
    Bob, I have gone round and round with the same question. I have decided to also go the home brew method, like many others. If you have not found fire clay contact Continental Clay in Minnesota. The person I spoke with knew exactly what I was looking for and asked if it was an oven based on Forno Bravos plans. He was very helpful. Their number is 800 432 2529. Four 50# bags of Hawthorn 35 mesh clay and a 1 pint bottle of sodium silicate additive cost me around 100 bucks with shipping to Wisconsin. The sodium silicate makes the homebrew exactly the same as premixed refractory mortar. It gives it extended life to work with and thru the curing process makes it rock hard. Hope this helps you, and as always GO PACK GO!!!!!! wAYNE

Leave a comment:

• jeeppiper
    replied

Bob:
    Premixed will probably cost a lot. I think most folks here create their own mortar mixture. The mixture I used was the one used in the plans, consisting of:
    1x - fireclay,
    1x Cement,
    1x lime,
    3x sand.

It has worked fine for me.

Leave a comment:

• rminkema
    started a topic Premixed Motar???

Premixed Motar???

I am building a 36" oven. I have located a local source for firebrick and many of the supplies. They suggested "SD Fireclay AirSet Mortar, Wet, in 55# pails" if the oven is not outside. My oven is enclosed in a pool kitchen. The other option presented was "Flue-Set Mortar 50# bag, dry, chemical set 2200 F". I need the advise of the wise.

Thanks,

Bob
Working...
X