Oven Floor replacement too hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven Floor replacement too hot

I bought a mobile oven in 2009 from The FireWithin. The oven that they mounted on the trailer was from Forno Bravo. I had to replace my floor last year. The replacement floor that Firewithn sent me was more of an orange fire brick and thicker than my original floor. My original floor was thinner and more of a grey cement colour. Since replacing the floor my pizzas burn on the bottom. I’ve tried changing recipes, cheeses etc. But they still burn. I’m convinced that the replacement floor is too thick and has different properties that are not compatible with my oven. The replacement floor holds way too much heat and gets too hot for my particular oven. Where can I get a thinner, floor made of the same material of my original floor.

While your new floor may hold heat better than the old one, I'd suggest that you consider changing your workflow a little. In my own experience, my pizzas often burn if I try to start cooking too soon after moving the fire to one side and sweeping the floor, ready for pizzas. I find that, if I leave the oven after cleaning the floor, to sit for about 30 minutes, that the floor temperature evens out nicely and I have no burnt bottoms.

If anything, a thicker floor will maintain a particular temperature better, so while the time before you start cooking may increase, with a thicker floor, you'll also have a more consistent heat profile, especially if you're busy and making lots of pizzas. So, I now simply get my floor ready earlier, have a chat and a glass of wine with my guests, and then we're good to go.
    My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
    My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

I think every oven has this problem. It is easier, rather than waiting, to simply move the first pizza partly in the entry where the floor is cooler. Subsequent pizzas can be pushed in deeper. Some leoparding of the bottom is a desirable feature of a well cooked wood fired pizza as it imparts a little desirable bitterness giving the crust the full spectrum of cooking The same can be said for bread that is well browned either on the top or the bottom.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
      X