Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: please help with my dome oven

Thanks!

I don't think so - I just wasn't familiar with it. Sheetrock covered with siding is more common than an all-in-one sheet material here. Although, judging by the ever-in-accurate Wiki it's probably much more common in Australia than the US overall.
    Last edited by Archena; 06-03-2010, 09:26 PM.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
    [/CENTER]

Comment

Although, judging by the ever-in-accurate Wiki it's probably much more common in Australia than the US overall.
      Just do a Google Image search on "Fibro House" and you will see what a whole lot of older Australian housing looks like. The tricky thing these days is working out what "fibro" contains asbestos and what doesn't.

These days, that kind of sheeting is used more for wet-area sheeting behind tiles, or for infill below window frames, under eaves etc., although there are fibrous cement sheets made to look like timber boards that get used for termite-proof cladding. But most new housing estates have regulations mandating brick construction.
      My Clay Oven build:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...dah-12821.html

Comment

Hi Everyone, I have a question. Does the chimney in a round dome oven go in front of the oven door or in back of the oven door? I do know it is placed in the arch but I can't tell by the photos if the chimney is actually in the oven part or not. Thanks so much!

Comment

The chimney sits in front of the door - that way you can close the oven off and not have all the heat escape up the chimney

Sometimes there's another door on the outside of the arch, usually just to keep the rain out when it's not in use.
          My Clay Oven build:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...dah-12821.html

Comment

Thanks, BP, I'll do that.

I did find one other interesting use for fiber concrete board while hunting on my own - fencing. It was only available in Western Australia, unfortunately. It could be buried along the whole length which would be perfect for my 'livestock killer' dogs. Speaking of which, I gotta go buy a cattle panel today... Long story.

Thanks again!
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
            [/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by BackyardPermaculture View Post
              The chimney sits in front of the door - that way you can close the oven off and not have all the heat escape up the chimney

Sometimes there's another door on the outside of the arch, usually just to keep the rain out when it's not in use.
              I thought so but wasn't sure. Thanks Mick for the quick response.

Comment

Hi Mick,

Can you please tell me what FC sheeting is and where can it be bought? Also, what are AAC Blocks and where can they be bought? I wanted to do cob initially I even bought Kiko's Earth Oven book but I figured if I am going to go through all of that I want the oven to last. I was told that cob eventually breaks down from the elements so I am going with the firebrick.

Thanks...Mina

Comment

Can you please tell me what FC sheeting is and where can it be bought? Also, what are AAC Blocks and where can they be bought?
                  FC sheeting is Australian for Wonderboard. Fiber-cement board.
                  AAC or Hebel blocks are aerated autoclaved concrete, an insulating concrete that is not available at retail in the US.
                  My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by hmc3142 View Post
                    Hi Everyone, I have a question. Does the chimney in a round dome oven go in front of the oven door or in back of the oven door? I do know it is placed in the arch but I can't tell by the photos if the chimney is actually in the oven part or not. Thanks so much!
                    Thank you for this question--it prompted me to think about my own (indoor) build. I suppose, that once combustion has stopped in the oven (the fuel wood is gone), then one might place a door between the dome and chimney to retain heat. For me, I always assumed, that because I have an indoor oven, I need a door between the arch opening and the chimney to prevent the atmosphere (warm heated air int he cold Minnesota winter, and even dense, cool airconditioned air in the summer) in my house from carrying dollar bills out the vent. Now I'm thinking about two seperate doors!

Comment

Yes you are correct that door needs to be between the chimney and the oven itself. This is to retain the heat in the oven after the fire goes out. As for the 2nd door, it would only come into play once to install the inner door for heat retention and or when the oven is not in use. You would not be able to use it while a fire is in the oven.

Comment

Working...
                      X