X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lwood
    replied
    Re: Red Clay Brick Oven in the Philippine Islands

Do a search on perlite, you'll find lots of stuff.

Leave a comment:

• johnbraks
    replied

Hi guys, please explain me the real benefits of perlite and how exactly do you use or apply it.
    Do you use perlite in the natural form or as an expanded material.
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• lwood
    replied

Hi Colin,
    As far as design is concerned, download the plans from this site and study them. That will generate lots of questions. Tagaytay, that's very close to Manila. You can get all the materials in Manila, including real firebrick and expanded perlite or vermiculite and real Italian ingredients. I am 8 hours, by bus, south of you, thats why I used alternative materials. Since then, I have found (actually Raffy on this site) suppliers for all this stuff in Manila. If you are just moving to RP, believe me, you will need all the help you can get...happy to try to help anytime. John

Leave a comment:

• lwood
    replied

Colin, when you said pumice, that threw me. I think you are talking about perlite. Perlite is mined all over RP and some call it pumice. If you have a good source, just plain perlite is a good insulator. In fact, that is the only insulation I used. I have 4" of 7 to 1 perlite mix as my dome and 4" as my hearth. The stuff works great, the outside of my dome gets maybe a little hotter (150F) than I like. So I will add another 2" to the entire dome and entryway. Had the front arch pop off due to expansion of the flue. Will fix that at the same time.

Expanded perlite is also available in Manila.

Leave a comment:

• Lancer
    replied
    Re: Insulation

Originally posted by dmun View Post
    I'm out of my element here, but isn't the Philippines a volcanic island chain? Volcanic pumice, or tufa, is a natural insulator that's been used in ovens since the time of the Romans. There's not much you can do under the oven at this point, but you could add a lot of insulation on top.
    Hi Colin, this is the only info on using pumice that I've found, not much really. Enjoy your retirement! Btw you and Iwood are not too far apart though who knows what mountainous perils the road holds up there.

If the pumice doesn't work out for you there is perlite up there in Luzon.
    Last edited by Lancer; 06-28-2010, 04:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lwood
    replied

Hi Colin,
    We are in Southern Luzon, Naga City. I made my oven with regular red clay firebrick but there are also the standard firebrick available in Manila. Don't know anything about pumice stone as firebrick.

Leave a comment:

• COLIN
    replied

I am a Brit - about to 'retire' in TAGAYTAY
    I was interested in the comment on using Pumice stone as the 'fire bricks'
    does anyone have any more info on this concept ?

I want to build an outdoor pizza oven on my property - any basic designs would be welcome - anyone in Tagaytay / Cavite to collaborate ?
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Lancer
    replied

Thanks for the invitation Wayne, very nice. Sadly we've got something up. I'll look forward to next time you cook the pizzas if you'll have us. We're interested to see your oven and taste a real pizza pie once more.

Leave a comment:

• fred42
    replied

Lance..This may be too short a notice for you but we are having a pizza afternoon tomorrow (Friday) starting at 12 noon (ish)..
    Just go to Bingag sports bar (next left after Hinagdanan cave road) and ask for Mike or Nenita..They are coming too..
    Cheers,
    Wayne.

Leave a comment:

• Lancer
    replied

Nice eagle pics. :b:

My wife is reveling in the pesos she was paid for her vote. "Some people they bought slipper" she says, but she already has slippers. She will take the money and vote for who she likes.

Leave a comment:

• lwood
    replied

Originally posted by fred42 View Post
    I used to live not that far from Naga back in the 80`s so I know exactly where you are..
    Thanks for the suggestions..I`ll look into it.
    I am at the base of Mt Isarog, 500 mtrs from Malabsay falls. We are surrounded by Mt Isarog Natl Park. Oh..... by the way, did I mention that we saw four Philippine eagles flying over our property today. Here are some pics, not real close but close enough to identify the unique pattern of the Philippine eagle. The last pic is not mine (unfortunately) but just to show the pattern of the Phil Eagle. Sorry to get off subject

Leave a comment:

• Lancer
    replied

Sounds great Wayne, we are looking forward to it!

Leave a comment:

• fred42
    replied

Originally posted by Lancer View Post
    Sounds great Wayne. Just post here when the time comes and I'll try my best to be there, and bring my wife if its okay. It might be helpful if I can bring my brother in law, a talented mason. An examination of the real thing is worth a million words...

Do you have someone in Manila? Maybe they can pick it up and ship it in LBC boxes, just an idea.
    OK,I`ll let you know Lance.. Of course your wife and bro in law are most welcome!
    My oven was built by two novices..Me and a general labourer..The main thing I guess is that it works!
    Cheers,
    Wayne.
    PS,I`ll look into LBC.
    Last edited by fred42; 05-06-2010, 07:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fred42
    replied

Originally posted by lwood View Post
    Where are you guys in the Philippines? Since I am in the province Naga City, southern Luzon, I am familiar with you challenges. LBC might be an option. There are many shippers/forwarders in RP which are much cheaper. Find one in the town near you and check prices. They all ship from Manila. I don't know what someone is calling volcanic ash but I would find perlite or vermiculite either in Manila or as I was lucky enough to find a Perlite mine about 20 klm away.

The fire brick I am using is as you described. Even though I don't think they will last forever, they are working fine for now.

I used to live not that far from Naga back in the 80`s so I know exactly where you are..
    Thanks for the suggestions..I`ll look into it.

Leave a comment:

• Lancer
    replied

We're both on Bohol, an island in the central Visayas.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X