Red Clay Brick Oven in the Philippine Islands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Red Clay Brick Oven in the Philippine Islands

Sounds great Wayne, we are looking forward to it!

Comment

Originally posted by fred42 View Post
      I used to live not that far from Naga back in the 80`s so I know exactly where you are..
      Thanks for the suggestions..I`ll look into it.
      I am at the base of Mt Isarog, 500 mtrs from Malabsay falls. We are surrounded by Mt Isarog Natl Park. Oh..... by the way, did I mention that we saw four Philippine eagles flying over our property today. Here are some pics, not real close but close enough to identify the unique pattern of the Philippine eagle. The last pic is not mine (unfortunately) but just to show the pattern of the Phil Eagle. Sorry to get off subject
      Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Nice eagle pics. :b:

My wife is reveling in the pesos she was paid for her vote. "Some people they bought slipper" she says, but she already has slippers. She will take the money and vote for who she likes.

Comment

Lance..This may be too short a notice for you but we are having a pizza afternoon tomorrow (Friday) starting at 12 noon (ish)..
          Just go to Bingag sports bar (next left after Hinagdanan cave road) and ask for Mike or Nenita..They are coming too..
          Cheers,
          Wayne.

Comment

Thanks for the invitation Wayne, very nice. Sadly we've got something up. I'll look forward to next time you cook the pizzas if you'll have us. We're interested to see your oven and taste a real pizza pie once more.

Comment

I am a Brit - about to 'retire' in TAGAYTAY
              I was interested in the comment on using Pumice stone as the 'fire bricks'
              does anyone have any more info on this concept ?

I want to build an outdoor pizza oven on my property - any basic designs would be welcome - anyone in Tagaytay / Cavite to collaborate ?
              Thanks

Comment

Hi Colin,
                We are in Southern Luzon, Naga City. I made my oven with regular red clay firebrick but there are also the standard firebrick available in Manila. Don't know anything about pumice stone as firebrick.

Comment

Re: Insulation

Originally posted by dmun View Post
                  I'm out of my element here, but isn't the Philippines a volcanic island chain? Volcanic pumice, or tufa, is a natural insulator that's been used in ovens since the time of the Romans. There's not much you can do under the oven at this point, but you could add a lot of insulation on top.
                  Hi Colin, this is the only info on using pumice that I've found, not much really. Enjoy your retirement! Btw you and Iwood are not too far apart though who knows what mountainous perils the road holds up there.

If the pumice doesn't work out for you there is perlite up there in Luzon.
                  Last edited by Lancer; 06-28-2010, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Colin, when you said pumice, that threw me. I think you are talking about perlite. Perlite is mined all over RP and some call it pumice. If you have a good source, just plain perlite is a good insulator. In fact, that is the only insulation I used. I have 4" of 7 to 1 perlite mix as my dome and 4" as my hearth. The stuff works great, the outside of my dome gets maybe a little hotter (150F) than I like. So I will add another 2" to the entire dome and entryway. Had the front arch pop off due to expansion of the flue. Will fix that at the same time.

Expanded perlite is also available in Manila.

Comment

Hi Colin,
                      As far as design is concerned, download the plans from this site and study them. That will generate lots of questions. Tagaytay, that's very close to Manila. You can get all the materials in Manila, including real firebrick and expanded perlite or vermiculite and real Italian ingredients. I am 8 hours, by bus, south of you, thats why I used alternative materials. Since then, I have found (actually Raffy on this site) suppliers for all this stuff in Manila. If you are just moving to RP, believe me, you will need all the help you can get...happy to try to help anytime. John

Comment

Hi guys, please explain me the real benefits of perlite and how exactly do you use or apply it.
                        Do you use perlite in the natural form or as an expanded material.
                        Thanks

Comment

Do a search on perlite, you'll find lots of stuff.

Comment

Hi guys, please explain me the real benefits of perlite and how exactly do you use or apply it.
                            Do you use perlite in the natural form or as an expanded material.
                            mineral perlite is extremely rare. The expanded material, like vermiculite, is a standard garden supply item.

Under your dome four inches of vermiculite concrete, consisting of vermiculite or perlite, portland cement, and water, is placed over your support slab. This is for insulation. The firebrick floor is laid on top of the insulation. On top of the dome you can either use a layer of vermiculite concrete, or fill an enclosure with loose material.

As Lwood says, there's lots of material here on this topic. Have you looked at the plans?
                            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

So, would volcanic ash, what we call pumice work as an insulator mixed with cement instead of vermiculite? I got lots of free pumice and no vermiculite? Thanks Gene

Comment

The topic has been discussed, but I'm not aware that anyone has actually built an oven with pumice insulation and reported back. You can read some of the back threads:

Google

for more information.
                                My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
                                X