• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Red Clay Brick Oven in the Philippine Islands

Originally posted by Lancer View Post

1 part limestone, crushed fine
    Do a google on hydrated lime.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Slaked lime, yes? How does it handle high heat, any ideas brickie in oz?

hydrated lime - definition of hydrated lime by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

hydrated lime - a caustic substance produced by heating limestone
      calcium hydrate, calcium hydroxide, caustic lime, lime, lime hydrate, slaked lime
      hydrated oxide, hydroxide - a compound of an oxide with water

Shop QUIKRETE 50 lb Hydrated Lime at Lowes.com

50 lb Hydrated Lime

For use in building construction
      Can be mixed with Portland cement and other ingredients to make mortar mix and base coat stucco

Comment

Never used it in an oven, I always use a bought pre made product.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Gudday lancer
          Brickie is a man of few words but he is right
          Burn the lime (quick lime ) then hydrate it laborious and dangerous pay someone to do it ....ie buy it
          On square vs round. I recon round is cool but I recon you better to have overhead protection in the Philippines.
          My hearth insulation doesn't get to the edge of that slab. The render dome goes further out than that. Those corners are tiled and the gape between the tile and render sealed. The tile grout gape is reproofed yearly with a bond all product. Same as any brickwork you see. The chimney is capped. The chimney had a gape between it and the dome long since silasticed.
          That leaves the last 2 entry points the dome brick and hearth.
          The dome as with all brickwork draws in moisture just from the air, the Philippines that is very likely.
          The hearth is a soak hole ..... Just pour a cup of water and watch it disappear. That's why I say overhead protection wood probably suit.
          My oven gets damp in the summer (soaking this yr). But I don't use the oven much in the heat. The other 9 months are glorious cool and dry and sunny. Perfect for entertaining and enjoying the outdoors and the oven.
          Regards dave
          Measure twice
          Cut once
          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
          My Door
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Dang I was in the city today (What passes for a city on this island) and completely forgot to check to see if lime is available ready made.

Ah well, next time. Likely go back next week.

I'll give your overhead protection some thought Dave. Oh and Gudday to you mate. Had planned on tiling over the dome in a mosaic to help waterproof it, but it wouldn't be too difficult to put a nepa roof over. That's a local product, a plant which is usable for roofs and hardly hinders heat from rising through it so the working area would stay cool. Thing is its got to be replaced every 5 years. Still, with flashing built into the chimney it would keep everything dry enough.

How hot does the chimney get?: Could I use it as the center pole in an octagonal roof? In other words, attach 2X6s to it?
            Last edited by Lancer; 04-01-2013, 03:25 AM.

Comment

Gudday
              Chimneys get hot ,bloody hot ,especially steel so placing anything flammable near it like napa and wood will need some carefull thinking. I do however like the idea of an octagonal roof. Round stand ,octagon roof sounds like you want something a bit different than standard shape which is good. Think things through though something's are done for a good reason.
              On your lime hunt don't except agricultural lime ,what you asking for is builders lime ,slaked lime , hydrated lime .
              Regards dave
              Measure twice
              Cut once

My Build
              My Door

Comment

That is one beautiful site you have there!
                Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                John Ruskin

Comment

Thank you Dave, I'll heed your advice! Don't know how I'll attach a roof to the chimney, that's going to require some thought. I'll make sure the lime is good for refractory, or I'll take my chances with open eyes. One the octagonal roof, I figure with a round stand a roof approaching round makes sense. Besides, I'm not a big fan of right angles in a home, though there are some in mine I try to limit them, break things up a bit.

stonecutter, thanks, its been a long few years designing and building it. Kids love the pool, and that means a lot. Funny, I started the pool before the kids came along. We're adopting a brother and sister who are related to my wife. Its a long story but a typhoon left their family destitute and the parents came looking for someone to adopt them. So, watch out if you build a pool, the kids come next.
                  Last edited by Lancer; 04-02-2013, 11:08 PM.

Comment

A general question... We took some rice to the mill yesterday and I studied the device that mills and separates it. There are three shutes out of the mill, one is for the rice, one for a fine husk powder which the pigs eat, and the last for husk roughage which, while still fine, isn't good for anything. There are piles of the stuff by every rice mill and it can be had for free. This I plan on burning on top of my wood fire. Get a good hot wood fire going and put this stuff on top, free fuel right? The first ever rice husk fired pizza oven. Well wood and rice...

So how to get the rice husks on top of the fire? Could take a shovel and try to get them in and dump on top. That might be a messy deal. What I'm considering is a shute. Leave a hole through the side over where I plan on burning the wood. Then make a removable refractory cement and perlite plug to stop the hole when not in use. Just slide the plug down the chute and into the hole. When fuel is added remove the plug and pour rice husks into the shute. They go through the wall and directly on top of the fire. Though opening a hole over a fire might be tricky, the fire will be somewhat reduced as it needs fuel.

Third possibility is to have a welder weld me up a steel bucket on a steel rod with a T handle. Fill the bucket with husks and less likely to spill than a shovel, though heavy. Could add a hook to the dome hanging high on the opening to help carry the load. Hope that makes sense... The hook would be the fulcrum between the bucket and T handle. The whole thing would hang from the hook rather than have to be carried the whole way to the fire.

What do you guys think?
                    Last edited by Lancer; 04-02-2013, 11:36 PM.

Comment

We're adopting a brother and sister who are related to my wife. Its a long story but a typhoon left their family destitute and the parents came looking for someone to adopt them.
                      I takes me hat of to you sir, you deserve a big hug for your generosity, have a virtual one from me......

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Thank you brickie, but I'll tell you, these are great kids. Our daughter, Abby, is 4 today and we're like best friends. Augustine is 2 and true communication is off in the future but he has a ready smile and bright eye. We're very happy to have them here as they bring a lot of joy to our lives.

Here we are playing in the pool as it fills.

She always likes to put up three fingers for her age. Though the pool was made before they arrived this section is the perfect depth for Abby to walk. Soon Augustine will be tall enough too...

Here she finds some small plumbing pipe offcuts. Abby said "Shing shing" which means ring. We took them and washed em up and she hid them somewhere. She's a wonderful child, as is her brother.

Thanks again brickie, for the like.
                        Last edited by Lancer; 04-03-2013, 01:19 AM.

Comment

We have a standing monthly donation to the Fred Hollow foundation so I love what you are doing for your neighbours/neighbourhood.

The Fred Hollows Foundation | Restore sight for $25 and help Fred's dream live on

My Build.

Books.

Comment

This I plan on burning on top of my wood fire. Get a good hot wood fire going and put this stuff on top, free fuel right?
                            It will put the fire out, I tried this many years ago with wood shavings.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Gudday
                              I'm sorry it's sounds all a bit complex your rice husk delivery systems . I'm more comfortable with somthing simple. One thing about these ovens that you don't really understand till you see one in operation is the tremendous heat thrown back from those walls when hot. There is no visible smoke when there hot it gets cooked as well so.
                              So .... Grab a sheet of newspaper roll yourself a log of the rice hulls twist the ends some tape /rubber bands. ( I just re read this I'm willing to bet it will attract a comment.) Delievery system again ,keep it simple ...a soft underhand throw into the middle of the fire in a hot oven. That puppy will burn I promise you.
                              Now on fuel . I live in sub tropical QLD so a popular plant is a small palm called the " golden cane" . Not so popular after you discover how many fronds they drop a real pain to clean up and dispose off. That's till I built the WFO!
                              Like most palms there full of oil and burn like a champ! Yes I have tried other types as well supplied by my friendly neighbors who throw then over my side of the fence at the first smell of smoke.
                              Your a champ for adopting those kids ...good on you! ( sigh ... No grand kids yet.)
                              It's had a positive effect on already on the "brickie" goodonya brickie
                              Regards dave
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once

My Build
                              My Door

Comment

There is no end to the need in this place. So far, with friends, we've built 2 small houses for poor people who never had opportunity in their lives. We do what we can...its never ending to the last breath, part of life in the third world. I consider that those of us not born in a third world country have won the lottery of birthplace. We were born to opportunity, so many were born to poverty with no hope. Yet there is more joy here than in poor places in the west where there is a social safety net. Civic pride is everywhere. Women sweep the streets every morning with little brooms and dustpans, and most places we would consider shacks have flowers growing from old empty cans or rickety flower boxes. Men are contributing time to build a seawall for the chapel down the road. I even went there for an hour and carried rocks. I'm 55 so an hour was enough... People with next to nothing put a peso in the collection plate on Sunday, I love these people...

I'm glad that you give where you can brickie.
                                Last edited by Lancer; 04-03-2013, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X