Red Clay Brick Oven in the Philippine Islands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Red Clay Brick Oven in the Philippine Islands

Thanks cobblerdave, I much appreciate that great tip.

Comment

Here is how I eventually got the timber shavings to burn, and burn they did, they burn so fierce its scary to watch and hear.

Get some 50mm dia pipe (dont use gal) or similar, block one end off and drill heaps of holes in the pipe just anywhere.
      Cover with husks and light the front lot of husks, dont cover the front of the pipe.

Try it with the rice husks Im sure it will work.

You can send the royalties to Brickie in Oz care of Australia.
      Last edited by brickie in oz; 04-04-2013, 09:52 PM.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Should I send you a big check? I'm referring to the dimension of the paper, not the size of the $0

Heck of an idea. I'm tempted to make a row of the things, have them welded and build the wood fire on em. Later when I add the husks on top the things will already be there and hot as...well hot. Great way to get air ti just the right place. You know you're a genius brickie? Well whatever, that idea is brilliant.

I wouldn't quit your day job to become an artist however.

I'd say you guys have greatly improved the design of the oven.

Saw the 'red' clay tripod stoves made locally and they're more brown than red. The ones I saw in Tagbilaran where wonderfully red, so we have to search them out when in the city again.
        Last edited by Lancer; 04-05-2013, 03:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer View Post
          Should I send you a big check? I'm referring to the dimension of the paper, not the size of the $0

Heck of an idea. I'm tempted to make a row of the things, have them welded and build the wood fire on em. Later when I add the husks on top the things will already be there and hot as...well hot. Great way to get air ti just the right place. You know you're a genius brickie? Well whatever, that idea is brilliant.

I wouldn't quit your day job to become an artist however.

I'd say you guys have greatly improved the design of the oven.

Saw the 'red' clay tripod stoves made locally and they're more brown than red. The ones I saw in Tagbilaran where wonderfully red, so we have to search them out when in the city again.
          Gudday
          Brickies wife works in child care ... He employs kids to do his drawings !
          Those "red clay tripod stoves" sounds interesting. If the basic deisign is good trick it up with a bit of insulation. Would be worth the investigation. Some pics and discription would be good

Regards dave
          Measure twice
          Cut once
          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
          My Door
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

In that case its the best drawing ever!

Sure I'll try to remember to bring a camera next trip. Getting senile though... The thing about those tripod stoves is they are red clay so there must be some out there locally to buy, or at least in the city. That's where we'll start tracking down the manufacturer of the very red one, better than brownish red clay. Since the bricks are made of the stuff and its an important ingredient in the refractory cement I absolutely must find out where the tripods are made. Don't know what other use could be made of those stoves, they aren't really that big. I'll try to get pics.

Comment

Gudday
              find attached possible way if putting chimney through an octaginal roof

Click image for larger version

Name:	chimney.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	344.9 KB
ID:	293759

this is not my idea but something I seen used on a house renervation yrs ago. Mod 1 from the engineer did not work he didn't allow for the lenght of the bolts. We changed it and had it remade and powder coated black againt varnised wood beams it was special

Regards Dave
              Measure twice
              Cut once

My Build
              My Door

Comment

Something like that was kicking around in the back of my mind, but with double metal bars to carry each joist. The elevated rain flange too, it allows for hot air to rise through but sheds anything but sideways rain. Nice find cobblerdave, and I really appreciate the time you've spent. I have one reservation, we live on the ocean and everything rusts. I could have this welded up in stainless but...$. I'm trying to think up an alternative long lasting cheap solution and not coming up with much. Doubling the chimney is what I'm considering, then on the outer, cooler chimney attaching the wood directly. Still in the planning stages.

Btw, 'Measure twice, cut once' was the saying my old carpentry teacher from high school swore by.
                Last edited by Lancer; 04-07-2013, 05:39 AM.

Comment

I think something like that would be best Dave. If I'm going to spend all the $ doubling the chimney I might just as well get stainless welded up as shown, with a single plate and stainless bolts. The more I look at it the better I like.

Comment

Gudday Lancer
                    Or have a bet each way and only double up the section that passes through the roof ? Stainless bolts are expensive ,double dipped gal through the wood beams should do. I live 1/2 km off Morton bay double dipped gal does the job.
                    Regards dave
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once

My Build
                    My Door

Comment

I would if I could, believe me. Finding galvanized here is a problem. Forget galvanized nails and screws... I can find stainless bolts not too expensive. They're a basic part to the motorcycles here and sold in the city. Found stainless welding rods as well, just have to find stainless plate.

Amazing things these stoves. At every turn I'm having to learn some new procedure or use materials which are totally unfamiliar. This will be a fun project.

Comment

Gudday
                        Just a thought as this thing is getting firmer into the planning stage it might be time to start a separate thread to contain you build?
                        What we have done is hijacked another thread. Could I suggest also that the title contain the word Philippines so that those who come later can have a easily searchable resource.
                        Regards dave
                        Measure twice
                        Cut once

My Build
                        My Door

Comment

Yes, I'll do that.

Bought one red clay brick yesterday, potter seems to know what he's doing. The brick is very light weight, I was surprised. There was an old oven, not pizza, with his bricks burning very hot, and they looked okay. The one I bought is sitting in our outdoor wood burning cooking area where it will be in the flame and I'll see how it holds up. Coast P12, or about a quarter. Can buy bags of red clay as well, for the refractory cement. Also found stuff I think is lime which is advertised as stucco, in bags sold next to Portland cement. Stuff is white in color. Got the brand name and will research it.

I am so thrilled with yesterdays explorations! All is available, thank you God. Now a trip to Camiguin Island, a nearby volcanic island I can see out my window, looking for pumice, or perlite. If they're selling the stuff there, we're in business.

Now, on to find a location for a thread related to this build.

Edit: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...tml#post149980
                          Last edited by Lancer; 04-10-2013, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X