Photo Gallery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo Gallery

I have installed the Photo Gallery software, and I think this is going work nicely. There is button in the middle of the main horizontal navigation bar (it's the green one) called Photo Gallery, that will take you to the new Photo Gallery site.

There are a number of advantages to hosting the Photo Gallery on the Forno Bravo Forum.

1. The photos are sorted by category: hearth, dome, vent, enclosure, pizza, bread, etc.
    2. They can be searched by keywords: type, poster, etc., so for example you could find "DMUNs hearth".
    3. You can post larger photos, so you don't have to worry about the small file size limitation.
    4. You don't need to go off FB.com to another photo hosting site, and then find your way back.
    5. You can build slide shows.
    6. There are nice little features like comments, reviews and # of views, etc.

This should be a nice addition to the Forum. I am sure we all have a lot to learn about using the Photo Gallery, but we're ready for postings. I have posted a couple of photos to see how it works.

James
    Last edited by james; 11-26-2006, 02:47 PM.
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Gallery

James,

This is a very fine addition to the Forum. From today on, I'll be posting pics here, in a larger size for clarity. Is there an upper limit on the height and width?

Nice work.

Jim
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Thanks Jim,

We can control size, so I have set the limit to 500K, which is pretty big. I posted a series of 480x360 photos that were in the 140k range. 640x480 images will fit easily, and we will see above that.

Working the brick ovens, bread and pizza -- which are pretty subtle items, I think the bigger sizes will definitely help.

James
      Last edited by james; 11-26-2006, 02:48 PM.
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Trouble...

Hi James,

I tried to post an image in the vent section. I chose "upload from a url" and I got this error message after pressing upload:
        Sorry, DrakeRemoray: Bad Open - Cannot Open the images Directory for Writing

Sounds like a permissions issue...

Drake
        My Oven Thread:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Hey Drew,

Could you do me a favor? Can you try "load from computer" first, while I look into permissions for "upload from URL link". Are you trying to load a photo that's already on a different web site?

We can at least check that you can upload a photo from your computer.

James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Hey! Neat new feature. Here's my trial upload:

Which picture I stole off eBay.

I'll use FB for my pictures now, instead of photobucket. It has that same neat feature where the picture URL is ready formated in IMG format.
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

better

Hi James,

I was able to upload from my computer, but only a reduced image.

Better than the limit from before, but my camera takes very large images, so I will still have to size them if I use this gallery feature. I usually size them and upload them to another personal site, so being able to upload from a url would be helpful.

Thanks,
              Drake
              My Oven Thread:

Comment

Drew,

I have upped the image size to 750KB, which can hold at least a 1024x768 photo. Still, it won't accept a photo straight from a typical camera. Our middle-of-the-road 5M pixel Sony camera takes pictures that are typically between 2M-2.3M, so I have to do some size modification before I post them.

I decided to buy a batch image modification program (EasyBatchPhoto for Mac, $24) rather than doing them one at a time. It lets you define/save a size of image you want, then you drag your photos into it, and the right size images pop out. I have set it to 1024x768, 72dpi, as computer screens can only disply 72dpi. They look pretty good.

Also, I will get back to you on the Upload from URL. I'm close.
                James
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Upload from URL should be OK

Hey Drew,
                  Give it a try. I tested it as a registered user (Yahoo-Archive) and it works. Let me know how it works for you.
                  James
                  Pizza Ovens
                  Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

That worked:

Link to image
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/phot...index.php?n=32

My Oven Thread:

Comment

Need instructions on posting to Photo Gallery

(M) I'm not sure how to post directly from the "Photo Gallery". I went there and saw no posting options on that page.

(M) James, are you doing the transfer of photos from other FB Thread "forums"?

(M) If so, here is a sample photo for "Floors" or "Insulating Hearth Slab" that shows the old order of layering with the Perlcrete on the bottom per the old instructions:

(M) I used dmun (David's) method of Copying the code that starts and ends with [IMG] from images stored on Photo Bucket. If this is not the correct way, or venue for such images, please direct me to where I need to post them.

Last edited by Marcel; 11-29-2006, 10:51 AM. Reason: misspelled "dmun"
                      "Everything should be made as simple as possible, ...
                      but no simpler!" (Albert Einstein)

Comment

Marcel,

It isn't that intuitive. You click on the Upload link on the second line of the Gallery Navigation section at the top. Then, you can upload from your computer. You can pick your category that way.

Does that work?
                        James
                        Pizza Ovens
                        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Re: Photo Gallery

Time does not permit me to download photos of my oven construction to date, but if you are interested in my 'rough and ready' project that is loosley based on the Forno Bravo plan take a look at my Flickr file at Flickr: Photos from stinits_31

After eavesdropping on this community to get ideas I figure I should contribute!

Comment

K,

One of the things you've shown in your pics is how wonderfully various materials use is around the world. Nice combination with the kiln and red bricks. Are you planning to continue the motif for an enclosure, or build an igloo style?

Jim
                            "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Plan building igloo style with a chimney, all with recycled red house bricks. Pouring concrete hearth on weekend - make it up as i go along, but at this stage the form work is going to be very improvised. Will take a few pictures of hearth (if all goes to plan that is!)
                              Thanks for your interest Jim.
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X