• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cobblerdave
    replied
    Re: G'Day from Redcliffe, Qld

Dear Mark
    Welcome onboard
    Pretty sure most councils require a certain fire rated surface if under a mtr from the boundry... sounds like your safe there!!!
    Seriously most councils require that you keep a mtr off the boundry with all structure ....sheds chook pens etc. But the size yard can have a bearing too. play it safe just in case of a future boundry dispute and give youself a saftey margin. Also don't block the access around you home as well, the firemen req 1.2 mtr access all around your home lots of people have made that mistake when installing water tanks to thier homes
    As for smoke a wood fired oven will smoke on lite up but as it heats up it burns so hot you will not produce any visible smoke. With the spit.. run a seperate one to the oven and run it on charcoal again no smoke and the added advantage is that you can get rid of the waste charcoal from the oven. Yes I've burnt some of mine in a friends webber kettle and it burns well enough.
    Regards Dave
    Last edited by cobblerdave; 02-11-2011, 08:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jislizard
    replied

Thanks for posting the thread, I think I have sold the family on having a spit inside the oven, convincing them was always going to be the hardest part of the construction anyway.

I have heard back from the council, 1 day turnaround time, there's your taxpayer's money at work!

They sent me a fact sheet regarding Building Approval requirements. But apparently if the oven structure is less than 10m2 in plan area and not more than 2.4 metres in height above its natural ground surface and does not have a side longer than 5 metres in length, then it will not require a Building Application to be lodged.

I am also not allowed to burn rubbish in it or cause a smoke nuisance.

There was no mention about having to build it a particular distance from the fence line but I will have another read to confirm. I may have to trim the neighbour's overhanging tree, the lower branches are all dead anyway after the last bbq I built under it.

I have a few more questions on the spit but they will probably be answered when I read the thread anyway.

Cheers for all your help.

Mark

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Here is the spit thread.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/oven-spit-9911.html

Leave a comment:

• jislizard
    replied

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I hadn't thought of putting the spit in the oven, I am slowly working my way through the old threads so I will probably come across it soon. I have to say, it does sound like a very good idea.

I remember being on holiday in Greece at Easter, we got the fire lit early in the morning and spent all day turning the spit. I will have to look into roasting in the ovens, it might be a bit quicker with the heat retention inside the oven!

I am trying to find out if there are any restrictions on building free standing brick structures and then setting fire to them, I should probably check first as the garden is visible from the street.

I am sure I will be asking many questions before I get started, good job there is such a friendly atmosphere!

Cheers

Mark

Leave a comment:

• jas.
    replied

g'day mate i am just over in deception bay so a big hello and welcome to the wfo community , i am almost finished my oven, just working on a roof but thats the best part of taking on a project like this you can give it your own finish / design, just follow the plans and your on your way, good luck. there is another couple of locals hanging around this site so if you got any ??? just ask

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by jislizard View Post
    long enough for spit-roasting.
    Make a spit to go into your oven, I did.
    There is a post on this forum somewhere about it.

Leave a comment:

• Lburou
    replied
    Welcome!

Dig in, the information is here on fornobravo.com. You may find some usable ideas in the picture gallery.

Leave a comment:

• jislizard
    started a topic G'Day from Redcliffe, Qld

G'Day from Redcliffe, Qld

Hi all, I am looking at building a small pizza oven at the back of my garden, hopefully with a barbeque pit long enough for spit-roasting. Space is tight and it will be up against a wooden fence so I guess insulation is going to be key.

I need it to be compact and fit in with the rest of the garden without being too much of a 'feature' when not in use, fortunatly I have raised beds with 'rustic' style rendering and I should be able to paint it to match.

I will be reading the site from top-to-bottom before I make any plans but when I do, I will be sure to post them up here for comments before I go ahead.

I hope to using the oven for pizza and bread mostly but I don't wat to get too far ahead of myself.

Cheers

Mark
Working...
X