• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jislizard
    replied
    Re: G'Day from Redcliffe, Qld

Eyes on the prize!

I have a feeling that mine will look like a pile of besser bricks for a while. Stil, you have to start somewhere!

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    It isn't paint by numbers to have a prebuilt shell.....smart... cuts down your build time. Trust me though you have enough to do building the slab base much less decoration. I was eating pizza for months before the oven stoped being a building zone
    just enjoy the journey....the pizza a fringe benifit

regards dave

Leave a comment:

• jislizard
    replied

Necro posting!

My idea of hand building a brick pizza oven and decorating it in a byzantine style along with an internal rotating spit have had to be scaled down somewhat, looks like I will be pulling the trigger on a Casa2G100 because despite the fact that I don't actually do anything, I have no spare time and I would rather have a paint by numbers pizza oven than no pizza oven.

We are getting the front of the house concreted and I have asked the man to come out back and quote for pouring a slab for the pizza oven. My brother in law the welder is heading off so the metal frame will not be happening and it looks like besser blocks will be going in. Less storage (I have been saving up all year and I have about 20 milk crates worth of dried wood, mostly from cutting down the branches overhanging the pizza oven site).

I will build a BBQ next to the pizza oven, I took the old one down to make way for the pizza oven base, just a load of dry stacked bricks and half an oil drum, I think I can do better now we are getting serious!

Thanks for all the advice from the forum, will be uploading some pictures when it is done, will now be going for a Santorini style, better than nothing!

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Giday again

well finish them up cause the winter her's the best time to build as it cool and DRY you don't want to build in summer. Can't believe Kranga dude did it in the heat it's pretty Humid in Coffs Harbour too

Regards cobblerdave

Leave a comment:

• jislizard
    replied

well I have the bricks for the oven stand at least. Too much on at the moment to even look at starting new projects, apparently I have to finish the ones I have already started. I am still lurking on the forums though, you can never know too much before starting something like this!

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Jislizard
    Hows progress.... or have you moved the thread to a differnt spot

Regards Dave

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Look after your neighbour with some freshly cooked pizza or bread.

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

Unfortunatley it got too hot over the weekend
    I remember "too hot".
    I had a pizza from a stone oven as research while I was down there but it wasn't much good, not sure it was wood fired
    There's no shortage of pizza places that advertise "brick oven pizza" that produce nothing of the kind. I was in a place recently that had a big "brick oven" sign out front, and an ordinary deck oven prominently placed just inside. I think folks are so used to pizza that tastes like red paint on library paste that they are reluctant to pay extra for real wood fired pizza.

Leave a comment:

• jislizard
    replied

I went to clear the area over the weekend, there is a bush that apparently has toxic berries so I have permission to dig that up, this gives me an extra metre to work with, the wife has also insisted in a fire pit alongside the oven for more traditional bbq'ing.

Unfortunatley it got too hot over the weekend so I went to Byron Bay instead, I had a pizza from a stone oven as research while I was down there but it wasn't much good, not sure it was wood fired, it could have been gas fired.

I will have a play with the new design and see what I can come up with for the new space I have.

Cheers

Mark

Leave a comment:

• jas.
    replied

gday mark hows the planning going?? have you made any progress? just give me a yell when or if you want to have a look at the oven mate ,
    regards jas.

Leave a comment:

• jislizard
    replied

Thanks for the offer, I am new to just about every aspect of the build so any advice will be gratefully received!

As soon as I have finalised the plans I will get in touch to run them by you and should be able to get to see the oven, I have a feeling they are a lot bigger in reality than they look in the pictures.

Cheers

Mark

Leave a comment:

• jas.
    replied

hi mark if you want to have a look at what i have done with my oven so far just pm me for some contact details and if you need some tools and tips i got that too, especially the brick cutting tips , we all got the first timers have a go knowlege to help you out .i'm just over at d'bay.

Leave a comment:

• jislizard
    replied

Ah! Well that's alright then, 1.2m from the house I can do.

I would need to be a little off the boundry fence so I can get around and build from all sides, otherwise it is going to be a bit awkward, unless the new neighbour will let me into his garden, he seems nice enough though but it does seem the more people who help you build these things, the more people you have to give pizza to at the end.

I have re-read your post and it makes more sense now I am not in a rush!

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

hi
    1.2mtr to the HOUSE so you have access all the way around to give yourself fire access for the firefighters. Give youself as much off the boundry as you can.... a properly insulated oven will not give of heat to the fence trust me you can put your hand on one for hours without discomfort....
    Sorry if I didn't explain my well
    Regards Dave

Leave a comment:

• jislizard
    replied

Space will be the key issue here! 1.2 m sounds reasonable but I already have raised garden beds around the boundry of the garden, pretty much touching the fences along three sides.

I have seen quite a few pictures in the gallery of ovens up against a wooden fence and wondered how they got away with it, I am guessing a well insulated oven doesn't get too hot on the outside.

I am aiming to replace a dry bricked BBQ which is against the fence, if I come out by 1.2metres I will start bumping into other things in the garden, and have 1.2 m behind the oven full of rubbish that gets stored behind it!

I will have a scout around the rest of the garden and see if there is anywhere more suitable.

I will play it safe with the council, they seemed quite helpful so I will ask them directly if it needs to be away from the fence, I had better read the rest of the fact sheet they sent me first though.

Cheers for the info about the smoke nuisance as well! One less thing to worry about.

MArk

Leave a comment:

Working...
X