• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hi, new Aussie

thanks thats what i was hoping to hear

Comment

Suggest you read the thread on oven curing and follow the guidelines.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

pics of vermiculite insulation.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0390.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	285938Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0391.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	285937

I'will be building a brick enclosure now and plan on a loose fill insulation. can anyone suggest a cheapish matierial to use?
        A friend suggested sand would this be ok? if so what kind of sand?

Comment

Dont use sand, sand adds thermal mass and will not insulate.
          Get some vermiculite its around $30 for a 100 litre bag.

Did you use some ceramic blanket over the top of the oven first?
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

didnt use blanket cant afford it was hoping for something cheaper than vermiculite but may just have to save for a bit. thanks for the tip bout the sand

Comment

Dear Vicbrickie

Know where you coming from when you say the pearlites expensive when your only supply is those pissy little 10 ltre bags from the local hardware/garden supplies. It influenced me buying ceramic blanket at $140 odd bucks which gave me 50 mm (2in) cover except for the bottom 100mm (4 in). I have since found Hydroponics supplier in local area that sells 100 ltr for $36 bucks. Now thats cheap concidering 100 ltrs is 1 Mtr2 0f material. Its worth getting some shipped to yourself.

Regards Coblerdave
              Measure twice
              Cut once
              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
              My Door
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

yeah thanks coblerdave. the vermiculite i have used so far came in 100lt bags for around $30 a bag plus delivery. it seems reasonable. my problem is not so much what they are charging but my own budget. Except for cement, vermiculite and some bits and pieces all my matierials have been left overs or basicly scrap.

I was hoping maybe i could use some sort of building product as a loose fill as i have access to left over just about everything to build a house.
                Maybe cieling batts? does anyone know if they would be suitable? toxic?

Comment

Finished concrete

Looking good!

I like the finished concrete. The way you did it will be striking to see when you have those pizza parties.
                  Lee B.
                  DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Dear Vic brickie
                    Now then your going to enclose? right? have you got a full 100 mm 4 inch (and I mean Full) of pearlite insulation over your brick Dome? If so why not use "rockwool" over the rest ? The biggest heat has been taken up by the 100 mm of pearlite so the rockwool is protected from the " big heat"check out the aussie threads there's a few of us that have done the same. Jas has en "enclosed" oven 100 mm pearlite and "rockwool" mine is 50 mm ceramic and "rockwool".....sorry I was very carefull with my words before before... I did not want to suggest that "rockwool" was a option against those hot bricks...but once there protected from that big heat ( 600 C) by a full fire proof layer any extra insulation is good thing....

Regards CobblerDave
                    Last edited by cobblerdave; 06-12-2011, 05:18 AM. Reason: Add more
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once

My Build
                    My Door

Comment

Thanks Lburou.

Comment

I was hoping maybe i could use some sort of building product as a loose fill as i have access to left over just about everything to build a house.
                        Maybe cieling batts? does anyone know if they would be suitable? toxic?[/QUOTE]

Ceiling bats are ok as cobbler dave said, but if you are planning to render/stucco over it you'll find that it compresses too much. But ideal for an enclosure.
                        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Cobblerdave. yes i do plan to enclose and im almot there with the 100mm vermiculite just need one more coat.
                          So when you say "Rockwool" do you mean the fibreglass based batts? or the stonewool ones?
                          I have no doubt that the stonewool ones would work better but i can get heaps of the glass stuff off cuts and leftovers for free.
                          The glass based are supposed to be good up to 230 C so im wondering if the 100mm vermiculite will protect it from enough of the big heat
                          Also wondering if any large cracks develop over time and enough heat gets through to affect the wool how unhealthy it will be? burning fibreglass sounds like a real bad thing to me.

Comment

burning fibreglass sounds like a real bad thing to me.
                            It's the organic binder that's the problem in domestic fiberglass. It will burn and stink. It should be OK over a layer of vermiculite concrete, particularly if it four inches thick.
                            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Dear Vicbrickie

I set out to bend a rule not break it. I fired this puppy twice and then pulled off a section at the back before i was happy. No smells, no melting... that ceramic blanket is amazing! was only warmish to the touch. It was only then that I rendered over it. Yes I used "rockwool" and the binder is sheeps wool.
                              Why don't you finsh the enclosure and leave the roof for a while? pack it full of rockwool and see what happens. If it doesn't work you can then change your plans with no damage done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	insulation over dome.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	285953

Regards cobblerdave
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once

My Build
                              My Door

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                                Yes I used "rockwool"
                                [ATTACH]25052[/ATTACH]
                                Im confused, which isnt hard to do , but you batts look like fibreglass batts, rockwool is usually brown and stiffer.
                                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                                X