Hi, new Aussie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hi, new Aussie

Cheers cobblerdave sounds like a good plan thats what i will do.
    Thanks for the advise

Comment

Dear brickie in oz

Your confused...... I'm confused Those batts are the last of the 1/2 pack left in my roof space after I insulated about 10 yr ago. I'm sure I brought rockwool even remember bypassing the Bunnings 2 pack for 1 special to buy them...

Regards cobblerdave
      Measure twice
      Cut once
      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
      My Door
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

There used to be a brand that went by the name Rockwool, I think it was Bradford, and they were all fibreglass.
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

after a little research it seems that the only real differences between "glasswool" and what is sold as "rockwool" are density and the specific mineral they where melted from. Batts of both seem to be bonded with a "thermosetting resin" but both seem to be ok with temps up to 350c.
          I think either should be ok on the outside of 100mm of vermiculite.

Like i said i only did a little research so please correct me if im not right and dont take it as gospel. I wouldn't want to give people dodgy advise

Oh and it seems "Rockwool" can be identified by its "Green/Brown" colour

Comment

Dear Vicbrickie
            What do i say...sorry for the dodgy advice. At this point I dont know what to do. Yes the insulation can stay in the roof space, but the oven? Thinking of doing a cut into the dome of the oven to find out whats going on in there. What action I'll take when I do I dont know

Regards Cobblerdave
            Measure twice
            Cut once

My Build
            My Door

Comment

Originally posted by Vicbrickie View Post
              didnt use blanket cant afford it was hoping for something cheaper than vermiculite but may just have to save for a bit. thanks for the tip bout the sand
              Blanket/vermiculite is the BEST option. Blanket is $75 for 7m, and V'lite is $30 for 100L, we have both in stock in Nunawading. 0451470371

Comment

Cobblerdave i still think that your plan to try the glasswool/rockwool with the roof off and see how it goes is worthwhile.
                My small amount of research suggests that the glasswool used in home insulation is really not that different from the stuff used to insulate pipes and so on. Obviously it isn't used on as high a temperature but i dont think the temp will be all that high on the outside of enough vermiculite or blanket
                Either way they say it is non combustable and non carcenogenic so i think there is only one way to really find out!
                When i get the enclosure done i'll fill with glasswool and give it a few good burns with the roof off so i can see whats going on.
                I'll post what hapens.
                If mine is ok yours should be too??
                Again if anyone reads this please dont take my ideas as any kind of advise i am basicaly experimenting and dont want to cause a problem for anyone else

Comment

Hi vic brickie,
                  Just a tip about your insulating vermiculite layer over the dome if you haven"t done it already. Don't use the 5:1 verm;cement ratio, (like you did for the under floor layer) over the dome, you don't need the strength there and adding cement to the mix drastically reduces its insulating value. I use a 10:1 which will still stand up vertically ok. You'll think that it will be too weak to set up but it does, and it leaves you with a good insulating layer.
                  Last edited by david s; 06-14-2011, 03:47 AM.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Dear Vicbrickie
                    Just had to find out,not just for you but for myself as well.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	gasp 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	286007

Bit of rust on the chook wire but this baby spent the summer pretty wet but no melting or anything dramatic. Going to leave this open on the sat and use an infrared thermometer to find out temp on the ceramic layer (white). yes I''ll post the results
                    The holes at the top but at the back so its repairable. What it had been a mass of melted glass?... well I just would have ripped it off and fixed it... after telling you of course.... I built this puppy and I'll finish it.

Regards
                    A pretty relieved....
                    Cobblerdave
                    Last edited by cobblerdave; 06-15-2011, 02:52 AM.
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once

My Build
                    My Door

Comment

Dear cobblerdave
                      Thanks for going to such leangths to make sure it was ok! Glad to see all looks well!!
                      I am now pretty much convinced that glasswool insulation as a loose fill is the go for me. Not because i think it will be the best or most efficient but because i can get it for free. Therfore cost Vs benefit should be worthwhile.
                      Oh and I hear ya on the wet summer hope you didnt get flooded.

Comment

Hi everyone! I'm a newbie here as well and hope to be a good participant and follower of this forum. A friend told me that it's really interesting to be part of this site that's why I signed up and I'm looking forward to be active in this forum particularly in some topics that interests me most. Thanks. Hope I'm welcome!
                        See the latest pc health check .

Comment

Dear Newbie
                          Greeting and welcome....Hope you find the forum as constructive as I have... everyone welcome... even us Aussies

Regards Cobblerdave
                          Measure twice
                          Cut once

My Build
                          My Door

Comment

Dear Vicbrickie
                            Well as promised some temp readings and ther'e a lot better than i though they would be

Name:	heat 003.jpg
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	286065

First I flashed her up... a good amount of wood and after 2 hours much to hot had to wait an other 1 hour till the temps dropped to 540C on the internal dome and 460C on the floor to cook pizza. a good time was had by all.
                            Only disapointment was the bannana choclate and marshmellow pizza was much to sweet been wanting to try it for a while

Name:	heat 001.jpg
Size:	771.0 KB
ID:	286063 Click image for larger version

Name:	heat 002.jpg
Size:	729.2 KB
ID:	286064

These are the reading taken when the oven dropped to 540C ...First was
                            20.4C and this was the outside of the "rockwool insulation"....Secound 42.8C the surface of the ceramic blanket when the "rockwool" was pulled back. Can't believe it was so cool even after 3 hours. We pulled the fire forwards into the entrance and sat having a few beers and port till 11.00 pm and the oven was closed up and insulated door fitted. Temp at the door at this time was 400C sorry no reading on the dome as I was not climbing up after the beers and port.
                            regards cobblerdave
                            Measure twice
                            Cut once

My Build
                            My Door

Comment

Dear vicbrickie
                              Broke this into 2 parts so it wasn't too big to post
                              Next morning at 11.00am temp at the oven door was 200C ....yep thats
                              12 hours later and yes a loaf of bread will be popped in there as soon as it proofs

Name:	heat 004.jpg
Size:	951.7 KB
ID:	286066

[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	heat 006.jpg
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	286068[/ATTACH]

Same readings were done as last time on the insulation... temp at rockwool 26.5C
                              Temp at ceramic 108C... sounds like that heat finally made it through.
                              Now with your oven .. your probably not got a method of measuring the temp on the outside of the pearlite layer I don't think that matters. Just use your hand if it can be kept on the surface without discomfort it should be cool enough not to cook the "domestic insulation fill" you plan to use

Regards Cobblerdave
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once

My Build
                              My Door

Comment

Dear cobblerdave
                                Thats great news about your oven glad you dont need to pull it apart!!
                                Those temps seem to be easily handled by the glasswool/rockwool i'll put up a post when i have had a go!
                                Thanks for letting me know how it went

Comment

Working...
                                X