Hi, new Aussie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, new Aussie

Hi, I live in australia and am fairly new to the wfo world. and even newer to online forums (first post ever)! Am half way through my oven it is 1M internal diameter dome with a polished concrete bench in front and a pit to dump ash and coal / spit pit down one side.

Welcome!

We're dying to see your work, try posting a picture or two.

This, is a link to a thread explaining how to post the pictures
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Re: Hi, new Aussie

Hi VicBrickie!

I join you in your newness. I have been reading these forums for some time, and I too am halfway through my build (36" Pompei). I look forward to following your progress! Thanks for helping me pluck up the courage to make my very first post. Now, enough about me, lets see some photos of what you're building!
      The Melbourne Fire Brick Company

Comment

Yeah we want pics....
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicbrickie View Post
          Hi, I live in australia and am fairly new to the wfo world. and even newer to online forums (first post ever)! Am half way through my oven it is 1M internal diameter dome with a polished concrete bench in front and a pit to dump ash and coal / spit pit down one side.
          Give me a call at Refractory Supplies if you are after any materials. 0451470371

Comment

sorry guys been busy with other things but will try get some pics up asap

Comment

so i just finnished the dome of my oven got some pics for you guys hope they work never done it before!

Comment

I cant see in the pic but what did you use for the under floor insulation?

My Build.

Books.

Comment

vermiculite / cement screed only about 65mm would have liked to have had a bit more but got a bit difficult trying to keep the bench flush with oven floor height without the step in it being too extreme

Comment

65mm may be a bit thin, time will tell, are you going to put a chimney on it?

My Build.

Books.

Comment

yeah i think bit thin too.fingers crossed! planning on another arch in front with vent and small chimney. bricking up the sides and enclosing the whole thing. walls will add some support for sides of arch carying the load of the chimney

Comment

Nice work. Your 65mm of vermicrete should be ok provided you didn't go richer than 5:1 (more cement = poorer insulation). The vermicrete takes up tons of water, so if you didn't dry it out well before putting the floor over it, then water removal via curing will take some time. Melb. weather at this time of year is not great drying weather.I really like the Romanesque style arch, hope you build a larger one in the same style for your outer decorative arch.
                        Dave
                        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

cheers dave. i did use a 5:1 ratio for the "vermicrete" and it sure did use up tons of water. i've now covered the whole thing in plastic to keep any moisture / rain out and plan to leave it to cure for a week maybe two. then some tiny fires to dry it totaly i think. I do plan on a 230x230 gothic elipse arch (same style) in front of the one there already with a vent opening and small chimney on top. ill post some pics as it goes up

Comment

so ive started curing the oven and it has some cracking. nothing so bad that i think it is going to collapse but it will obviously let some heat out. Can anyone let me know what is an acceptable amount of cracking? have others also had similar issues and how have they affected your oven?
                            Thanks.

Comment

They all crack, and all still work too.

The blanket and vermiculite will keep any small amount of heat from getting away.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                              X