A big hello from Green Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A big hello from Green Bay

I have an oven underway, currently to the vermiculite layer on the hearth. Looking forward to the interaction on this forum. What a great way to share information. I am a steamfitter and welder by trade so this brick and mortar thing is a bit challenging . I do have a problem listed in the "Newbie section" in that fireclay is not available in Green Bay, Orco set seems to be the thing of choice. Do I need an alternitive to set my floor on. This stuff is expensive.

Re: A big hello from Green Bay

"can't get fire clay" is a common complaint. They don't stock it at the big box stores. You can get it at your local brickyard or masonry supply, or if they can't get it you can try the refractory suppliers where you get your refractory insulation, or a pottery supplier. It comes in fifty pound bags, and it's cheap.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

We don't have any refractory suppliers. I found one guy in Appleton selling a type of fireclay for $139 for 50lbs. The pre mix buckets seem to be all I can get. These are really nice brick yards too. Two out of the three told me the last fireclay they had went bad on the shelf and they never reordered it. The refractory insulation I have to order that too. the only supplier in town wanted $239 for 25' of 2". This seems insane.

Comment

HummerGB,

Search for the "fire clay" by another name. Printed on the bag I had were the words "Masons Clay" I've also heard it referred to as "mortar clay".

Cheers,
        Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

Okay I am going to hit the brickyards up agian tomorrow. I'll have to expand out to surrounding cities. Thanks

Comment

For ceramic insulating blanket (and other supplies), try Milwaukee Firebrick on Miller Pkwy in Milwaukee. Their blanket rolls were $60 each a couple of years ago.
            Picasa web album
            Oven-building thread

Comment

fireclay they had went bad
              Went bad? It's clay! All you need to do is keep it dry and it will last until the end of time, and even if it got wet all you would need to do is dry it out and bust it up.
              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

SCORE. KRC Rock.com 50# bag of Muddox fireclay shipped to my door for $14.41. Now it just needs to get here.

Comment

This weeks progress. I think I'am getting the hang of it. The wet towels work really nice during this hot humid weather.

Comment

Originally posted by HummerGB View Post
                    This weeks progress. I think I'am getting the hang of it. The wet towels work really nice during this hot humid weather.
                    I see the orientation for your arch bricks and they appear to be mortared on the narrow sides I think that unless you reinforce this area with another layer or are planning on a thermal break with insulated fire brick you may have a weak arch here.

Anyone else want to chime in on this?

Chip
                    Chip

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
                      I see the orientation for your arch bricks and they appear to be mortared on the narrow sides I think that unless you reinforce this area with another layer or are planning on a thermal break with insulated fire brick you may have a weak arch here.

Anyone else want to chime in on this?

Chip
                      Looks like the arch and dome wont come together as the should too, and you will end up with with a teardrop dome top rather than a round one.
                      Nothing wrong with the teardrop as such, it just means some extra fancy cutting to get it all to happen and marry up.

If the arch bricks were full bricks and back a further 115mm (half brick thickness) they would probably intersect the dome as they should, and no teardrop.

There is a thread here about Mike D's experience
                      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Chip, I pondered on doing that. I cut those to that size. 2.5"x3". I have a full brick length running up infront of that for the second arch. I am tight for space running out to the front of the hearth. I must say when that keystone got tapped it, that thing liffted off my form and just stood there. Wet mortar and all, and I didn't even tap it in that hard, really amaizing I thought. You think I should re-do it with thicker brick.

Comment

I would need to agree with Al, "Brickie" You need to check your oven geometry to see where the bricks meet the arch at the top, I think you are headed for two issues here weak arch and significant teardrop because chains 5 - 8 will be reaching hard to try and get to the arch. Use your Indispensable tool to check the intersections of the chains with the top of your arch, Put a brick in it and see how it intersects. I think you will find that the brick will be coming in a little short.
                          Chip

Comment

Okay I've been out there working and just checked e-mails. Row 7 will hit the arch third brick up . Row 8 might hit the top of the arch, I am guessin and inch short. I might be able to hook the brick onto it like I saw in Les's pics.

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
                              I would need to agree with Al, "Brickie" You need to check your oven geometry to see where the bricks meet the arch at the top, I think you are headed for two issues here weak arch and significant teardrop because chains 5 - 8 will be reaching hard to try and get to the arch. Use your Indispensable tool to check the intersections of the chains with the top of your arch, Put a brick in it and see how it intersects. I think you will find that the brick will be coming in a little short.
                              After working with this today and working to the arch I see what your saying. I took some measurments, And it is out of round by a half inch. Long to the arch. Maybe after the arch I can make up the half inch. On row six to the O.D. I had 32 1/2". Back to arch 33"

Comment

Working...
                              X