Propane (gas) Pompeii won't get up to correct temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propane (gas) Pompeii won't get up to correct temperature

I just completed a Pompeii oven with 42" floor. I have hooked up propane to it and have a great flame. I spent a week bringing it up to temperatures. I fired it up today for 1 hour. From a half hour to a hour the oven kept the same temperature readings with my laser temperature gun. It reads around 1050 at dome and only 450 on floor. Does anyone know why I can't get the floor to the 800 degrees that I need to make my 90 second pizzas?

Re: Propane (gas) Pompeii won't get up to correct temperature

Two things:

1) You may not be totally cured yet, driving the moisture out may require a few cool cycles to allow the moisture to equalize and then get eliminated by the next heat cycle.

2) Safe use of gas to heat the oven is a precise and tricky process, one that the ownership of this board doesn't condone. You will have to find another place for advice about using gas to heat your oven.

HTH
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by ss0357 View Post
      It reads around 1050 at dome and only 450 on floor. Does anyone know why I can't get the floor to the 800 degrees that I need to make my 90 second pizzas?
      I hate to ask... did you insulate under your floor? If so, what material did you use and how much?

Are you heating ONLY with gas? It would take a huge amount of propane to bring a Pompeii up to full heat. Where are the burners located? You can't beat a wood fire for speed and temperature. I would ditch the gas altogether and use wood. I promise you, I can get my WFO oven fully heated and ready for pizza faster (and cheaper) than any gas oven. And wood is a heck of a lot safer.
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Well said Lee.
        The other thing is propane seems to leave a lot of condensation, if you use a propane heater inside a room the windows always fog up.
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
          I hate to ask... did you insulate under your floor? If so, what material did you use and how much?

Are you heating ONLY with gas? It would take a huge amount of propane to bring a Pompeii up to full heat. Where are the burners located? You can't beat a wood fire for speed and temperature. I would ditch the gas altogether and use wood. I promise you, I can get my WFO oven fully heated and ready for pizza faster (and cheaper) than any gas oven. And wood is a heck of a lot safer.
          Wish I had said that about the insulation under the floor Ken....But moisture, from the propane or residual, in the oven floor was my first thought.

To illustrate how fast a Wood Fired Oven can get to pizza temperature, I went to town a few days ago (a 25 minute drive each way and about 25-35 minutes at Home Depot). I lit the fire as I left for town. I called to check on the fire and the paper had not burned....So My good wife re-lit the fire. She added some wood after it took off and the dome was 1050 F and floor was 820 F when I got home, that was about 65-75 minutes after she re-lit it. That time to pizza temp is a record for us. I burned the first pizzas big time , won't try to cook at that temp again.
          Last edited by Lburou; 09-17-2011, 05:34 AM.
          Lee B.
          DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Try a little semolina flour cast into the centre of the floor before placing the first pizza. It should turn black in 3 secs. It is the best floor temp test IMO
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

This thread got quiet. I figured we would have heard back from the original poster. Hope he didn't hurt himself with the propane.
              Ken H. - Kentucky
              42" Pompeii

Comment

Here is a picture of him:

Comment

Ouch. I don't wish that on anyone!
                  ss0357, You out there? I'm sure we can help you.
                  Ken H. - Kentucky
                  42" Pompeii

Comment

Working...
                  X